Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Diverter Valve Dilema

Putting in a garden type tub, but I will not have a separate shower area. Can't seem to find a tub/shower faucet that I like and is affordable. Some family members are tall, some are short, so I would like to put in a shower head style that is on a sliding bar. Found one I like, but that brings me to the tub filler faucet. I would like to put in a flush mount roman tub style that doesn't have a shower head since I am using the sliding bar.

What do I do about a diverter?
Do they make one that is a button style?
Can I put it anywhere I want? On the wall or on the tile surface of the drop in tub?
Since it is not part of the tub filler valve assembly, how do I connect an independent diverter? The only diverters I have ever seen is an all in one valve. Hot on left, cold on right and diverter knob in the middle of the two.

Is there a web site where I could find a diagram of what I am trying to do?

Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Diverter Valve Dilema

You can buy single handle mixing valves anywhere and elect to install a diverter or not. The diverter is operated by pulling a knob or disk on the diverter itself, and has nothing to do with the shower controls. The diverter is typically mounted on the wall just above the tub rim.

Not sure if that answers your question...

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #3

Diverter Valve Dilema

So, a diverter valve is not the same as a mixing valve? I need the thing that decides whether the water comes from the tub filler faucet or the shower head.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

Diverter Valve Dilema

Not usually the same beast nowadays. 50 years ago, you had three knobs in the shower/tub...Hot, cold, and the diverter. I'm sure that a three knob mixing valve setup is still available at good plumbing supply houses. Unless you have to have that look, I'd stay away from it and go with something more modern.

What's used these days is a one handle mixing valve (brass thing in the wall), and the diverter is incorporated into the tub spout...Which is called a diverter. Turn it on and water comes out the spout...Pull the knob on the spout and water switches to the showerhead.

Make sense?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #5

Diverter Valve Dilema

I take it the mixing valve, then, is what makes the blend of hot with cold water and controls the temperature of the water coming from whatever orifice you have chosen. I get it now.
Thanks so much for your clarification. It helped a lot. Hate the 3 knob look, so it's good to know I have other options.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #6

Diverter Valve Dilema

No problem. Yup, the three knob look died out in the 70's I think.