Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

Distance from toilet to vent.

Hello all. We have demolished our bathroom and are in the process of redoing some of the plumbing. What we would like to do is move our toilet about 5 ft to the other size of our small bathroom in order to make room for a double vanity.

The original drain was 1 foot from the soil/vent stack. Moving it to the other side of the room would put the overall distance at 6 feet from the bathroom vent. From what I have gathered, if a toilet with a 3 in drain line is within 5 feet from the vent, it meets code and should be acceptable. My question is if anyone has had any experience with a toilet 6 ft from its vent having problems flushing/clogging etc. If so, is 5 ft anymore acceptable than 6 ft or is this an example of the code falling short.

My other option would be to run a seperate vent for the toilet up into the attic and tie back into the original vent. Would this be acceptable with a 7 ft horizontal stretch before meeting back up with the stack?

I should also mention that it is a 2 in vent that will serve the toilet, a double vanity, and a shower.

Thank you in advance for any help. Cheers!

Rclancyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

yes it will work just fine
http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...2_9_sec009.htm

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

your allowed 6 foot trap arm on 3", 5' on 2" and 42" on 1 1/2 pipe and if your 5' or less off your main you don't need a clean out. but u can check your local code enforcement office
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctekkk View Post
your allowed 6 foot trap arm on 3", 5' on 2" and 42" on 1 1/2 pipe and if your 5' or less off your main you don't need a clean out. but u can check your local code enforcement office
Also a note : the trap arm on a toilet is measured from the surface of the flange along the centerline of the pipe to the edge of the vent pipe.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #5

Sorry it took me so long to reply, my computer was on the fritz.Thank you all so much for the input, I'll let you know how it turns out after in the end. I get the feeling i'll be back asking for advice before it is all done!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

If your local code is the IRC (as it is where I live), there is no limit to trap arm length for a toilet. Nor do toilets, regardless of trap arm length, need a vent other than the main stack.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

I just did a little research and it turns out that we use UPC here in Austin. From what I understand, I am still allowed 6 feet from vent on a 3 inch drain line. wctekkk mentioned that if the line is over 5 feet, I would need a clean out. Are there any suggestions as to where a clean out ought to be placed in the crawlspace? I only have about 20 inches headroom in crawlspace in the event I needed to get messy with a clog. Do they sell closet bends with a clean out opposite the drain line? I'm not sure where I'd even be able to put a clean out that would be accessible.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclancyc View Post
I just did a little research and it turns out that we use UPC here in Austin. From what I understand, I am still allowed 6 feet from vent on a 3 inch drain line. wctekkk mentioned that if the line is over 5 feet, I would need a clean out. Are there any suggestions as to where a clean out ought to be placed in the crawlspace? I only have about 20 inches headroom in crawlspace in the event I needed to get messy with a clog. Do they sell closet bends with a clean out opposite the drain line? I'm not sure where I'd even be able to put a clean out that would be accessible.
I plumb by UPC and am not required to have a clean out on the toilet arm, even at 6'. We don't consider it a branch line, which require clean outs if over 5'. You'll pull the toilet to clean that line anyways. Also a clean out in the crawl must be within 20' ft. of the access.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclancyc View Post
The reality of the situation is that generally if you have a problem with a mainline, you're not going to use a cleanout underneath the house even though they may be required.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help! The toilet lines is installed, I sweated all the new copper supply lines together, and just minor adjustments left for the shower drain. Now on to the tedious part...finishing it!

Tags
distance, plumbing, toilet, vent