Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Disposal not draining except when on

We're renting a house and having problems with a disposal that will not drain the water from the Dishwasher unless the disposal is turned on.

I suspect a faulty installation. It is a new disposal. The first time it was installed (by an old friend of the landlady) he left the plug in the drain FROM the DW. This time I can't tell what the problem is, but the water coming into the disposal will not go out unless the disposal is turned on.

It is a Kenmore disposal.

doyledh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #2

I have the same problem and haven't managed to figure it out either. Ruled out the drain itself, which is running clear.

I have yet to pull the disposer and open the drain port on it, but I suspect that's the area that's plugged up. You might try that before you consider replacement.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #3

The disposal is new and an alleged plumber installed it. There were also some other plumbers who were clearing out the drains and they could not figure out the problem. The drain is clear and water goes down it, but ONLY when the disposal is turned on it appears. There has to be some valve that closes when it is off.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyledh View Post
There has to be some valve that closes when it is off.
Not to my knowledge.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #5

When you run water into the disposal with the disposal off does it drain or does it back up into the sink?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
When you run water into the disposal with the disposal off does it drain or does it back up into the sink?
It backs up into the sink. It drains only when the disposal is on.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #7

When you turn on the disposal it acts as a cenrifugal pump and forces the water through any blockage. When the disposa is off water should still drain freely so if it doesn't there is a blockage somewhere.

It could be that fibrous/greasy debris is plugging up the disposal. Try grinding a bunch of ice cubes and see if that helps.

Does the disposal have it's own p trap or does it share a p trap with the other side of the sink? If it has it's own p trap it may be clogged.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #8

I'll give the ice cubes a try ... then call the land lady.
It makes sense that something is clogging it, and that the disposal is acting as a pump. What does not make sense is how the plumber and drain cleaner could have missed clearning that part of the drain. It has to be in the J trap because it fills rather soon with water. It is a single sink by the way.
Many thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I had a verrrrrry slow draining disposal due to bacon grease. I boiled a big ol' pot of water, and CAREFULLY poured it down the disposal. A little while it wasn't running, and more while it was. Cleared that sucker right up. Of course, big pots of boiling water are no joke. Don't go tripping on rugs or have the toddler running under your feet when you do this.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote