Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Share |

Dishwashers & Garbage Disposals - Must they be installed?

There are 2 things I don't like in my kitchen, one is the garbage disposal. It ends up causing problems and getting clogged. Are they required by code?

The second thing is the dishwasher. We rarely use it and what ends up happening is it begins to smell (trap dries out or gets stagnate). We don't have a family so we don't need a dishwasher. I assume dishwashers are NOT required by code, right?

JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #2

No there not required.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Neither a dishwasher nor a garbage disposal are required by code anywhere that I'd heard of.

As for the troubles you have with the dishwasher smells, does it have it's own drain and is not hooked up to discharge before the sink trap? There's just the two of us, use it about once every 5-7 days, and have never had a problem with smells.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Neither a dishwasher nor a garbage disposal are required by code anywhere that I'd heard of.

As for the troubles you have with the dishwasher smells, does it have it's own drain and is not hooked up to discharge before the sink trap? There's just the two of us, use it about once every 5-7 days, and have never had a problem with smells.
We don't use our dishwasher for months, I believe the trap dries out or gets stagnant, causing the smells.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

These items may not be required by code, but don't forget about resale value. Not having a dishwasher would turn off a lot of potential home buyers.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades View Post
There are 2 things I don't like in my kitchen, one is the garbage disposal. It ends up causing problems and getting clogged. Are they required by code?

The second thing is the dishwasher. We rarely use it and what ends up happening is it begins to smell (trap dries out or gets stagnate). We don't have a family so we don't need a dishwasher. I assume dishwashers are NOT required by code, right?
Not by code...but some lenders require them to obtain a loan....especially VA.....

I can see the dishwasher leaving....especially if you don't have kids and dishes coming out the proverbial a$$.....if I was single, the dishwasher would never get used....no need to wash food wrapers.....

Garbage disposal? You sound like my MIL....she fills the thing up until water does not drain...and then turns it on....because she has so much junk in it, she didn't see the spoon.....

So....run it more often...and keep the spoons out......or just remove it....it's your house....but I think taking it out is more work than flipping the switch.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
the dishwasher would never get used....no need to wash food wrapers.....
or pop cans
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades View Post

Bad smell from the dishwasher - Do you have an airgap installed in the dishwasher's drain line? Some installers just route the dishwasher's drain line to a high point under the kitchen counter without an airgap. Although it is allowed by code in some cities, that's an extremely bad practice in my opinion.

Without an airgap in the drain line, waste water from the dishwasher could fill the garbage disposal and siphon back into the dishwasher if there's no backflow check valve in the dishwasher or if it is stuck in the open position. This would allow food particles from the garbage disposal to be siphoned back into the dishwasher causing the bad smell. With an airgap installed, that can't happen.

If an airgap is not installed in the drain line, a solution to your problem might be to install one. You may have to flush the dishwasher and drain line to clear old food particles out to get rid of the smell. Also, always run the garbage disposal prior to using the dishwasher to allow proper drainage.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 05-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
DIYer

Hey, guys...hijacking this thread with a similar problem.

We just finished renovating our kitchen (new everything). We had a smelly dishwasher before and still do now with the new one. We figured the smell would go away with the new dishwasher, disposal, sink, plumbing, etc. but it hasn't.

We run the dishwasher about twice a week. We have done this in three houses over ten plus years and never had a smell. We rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher as we always have.

I have a loop where the hose goes way up high to the counter top. The sink and disposal never smell.

Surely, the engineers who design these things run enough rinse water through the machine to get all the dirty water out of the drain line. I have a hard time believing that is the problem.

I've read dozens of suggestions about using vinegar, baking soda, bleach, lemonade, tang, and even kool-aid (are your freaking kidding me?!?) and I can't believe any of this could really fix a problem with a new dishwasher.

The solution that does sound interesting is the air gap. Can some of you smart guys explain exactly how this works and why it's recommended but not required?

thanks!

mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote