Dishwasher Not Draining Properly - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dishwasher not draining properly

Hello, I recently successfully removed my busted garbage disposal and replaced it with pvc pipe. That went well, and was hoping it might have solved my dishwasher draining issue. Unfortunately it did not.

There are two problems. the first is that while washing the dishes, the washer fills up and water splashes out, making a big puddle in the kitchen. The second is that once the dishwashing is complete, there is still a good bit of the water left in the bottom. If I don't remove the dishes immediately, it seems to "evaporate" onto them and make them slimy.

When I set the dial to "rinse", the dishwasher will drain out completely, and then start a rinse cycle, so I don't think it's the pump itself, since it's capable of draining. It just doesn't seem to do it when it should.

Anyone know what the likely culprit is?

thanks!

Advertisement

llmercll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds to me like you have a valve assembly or solenoid that needs to be replaced, it would be on the same housing as the pump, there is a solenoid that switches the pump flow direction from recycle to drain.

If you pull the dishwasher out flip it on its back and have a good look at the assembly, I am sure you will figure it out.

Mark

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Ouch I was hoping I wouldn't need to pull it out. Any other things I could check/troubleshoot first? how about the fill float?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Sounds to me like you have a valve assembly or solenoid that needs to be replaced, it would be on the same housing as the pump, there is a solenoid that switches the pump flow direction from recycle to drain.

Mark
actually most dishwashers don't operate that way, most either reverse motor direction or have a separate pump for pump out.
hardwareman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmercll View Post
Ouch I was hoping I wouldn't need to pull it out. Any other things I could check/troubleshoot first? how about the fill float?
what brand?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #6

Its a maytag, maybe 15 years old or newer
Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

check your fill level, sounds like your getting to much water in the tub. after a complete fill it should be just above the heating element. if it is more than that look at your float, it should be on the left side of the tub toward the front. manually move it up and down, does it move easily sometimes they just get a gunked up. if that is the case, resolving that problem may also resolve the other problem as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

That makes a lot of sense, even to me with no dishwasher knowledge. How do i troubleshoot the fill, or actually, how do I clean it? It just seems to move up and down.

thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

check when it fills, when water level reaches the element, the float should start to rise and stop water flow. Or manualy block the float in up position then see if it will fill, your float switch may be crudded up.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Have to agree, a model # would be helpful to help diagnos the problem you are having.

Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #11

thanks for the replies! I took a few pictures of my dishwasher, during a rinse cycle to show how high the water goes. My float is on the left, I'm not sure what's on the right.

model
http://i54.tinypic.com/2epq0c3.jpg
main leak area
http://i52.tinypic.com/2drxa8h.jpg
low fill
http://i54.tinypic.com/30sc8jm.jpg
high fill
http://i54.tinypic.com/2pzfgr5.jpg
dishwasher buttons and settings
http://i56.tinypic.com/2qw1nqg.jpg

I just ran it again on the rinse cycle. You can see how much it filled up by looking at the high fill picture. It's slightly above the heating element. It still leaked like crazy, even when the water was low "low fill" photo from the bottoms of both sides, but mostly the left. It seems like it drained very nicely this time, though. I Hung my dishwasher hose up, where before it was lying flat on the ground, maybe that helped the draining?

http://i56.tinypic.com/2s8llqb.jpg
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #12

By my pictures is the water getting too high?

Also, when I do a rinse cycle only, it drains perfectly...but when I do a full cycle (which includes rinse and dry), theres still water in the bottom =(
Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

fill level looks good, hose routing looks good. Take that hose off and put it in a 5 gallaon bucket, put it in a pump out and watch the flow coming out of the hose, just how much water is left after the wash?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #14

ok I tried that. When I did a full wash, it didn't drain at the end, but partway through. When I did rinse cycle, it drained what was in the dishwasher at the end of the full cycle, AND at the end of the drain cycle. The only real problem is that it won't drain at the end of a full cycle. Rinse cycle works perfectly.

I don't know if that made any sense. To sum it up, everything seems to be working good except at the end of the full cycle, where it doesn't drain. And of course the leaking (which if it isn't the float must be a gasket?)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

sorry, not following any of that. Here is how your Maytag dishwasher operates. wash cycle xxx amount of minutes depending on cycle, wash stops and machine pauses, timer clicks to pump out cycle, motor reverses( same motor as the wash only opposite direction) motor now pumps water out for maybe 3 minutes. Not exactly sure on the time for pump, I'd have to see the tech sheet. After timer times out it stops the motor again, fill cycle for rinse starts after fill is complete motor starts again. That is the sequence for maybe 5 fill and pump out cycles. Not sure if that helps but maybe if you understand how it operates you can better trouble shoot it.

Advertisement