Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dishwasher makes pipes rumble

Lately (last few months) when we run the dishwasher, during the first cycle (and a few times in the complete cycle) the pipes in our house will rumble REALLY LOUD - like a jackhammer for about 3 minutes each time.

If I turn on the water in the sink, the noise will stop. Once I turn the water off again, the noise starts up.

Before I call a plumber, does anyone know what this is called? (water hammer, maybe?)

And is there anything I can try before calling a plumber?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks.

bvisconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

It sounds like a cycle in the dishwasher might be switching the water on and off very fast. Maybe it's it's way of controlling flow?

Install a water hammer arrester somewhere on that line and you should be good. At least that's my thoughts, see what the others have to say.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
And Still Learning

Rewards Points: 75

Red Squirrel is correct. Water hammer can cause problems in other areas of the home as well. Water hammer arrestor is basically a vertical pipe with trapped air that acts as a cushion to the water when the solenoid valve snaps closed.
Since the problem just started it could be your pressure regulator has failed and allowing an increased pressure.
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

water hammer is caused by the rapid closing of a valve. obviously if the dishwasher is causing this for extended periods of time it's something wrong w/ the dishwasher. the solenoid valve that controls hot water flow is probably broken. don't waste your time with hammer arrestors, get the problem fixed
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Picky Plumber

Rewards Points: 75
Talking

...another vote for water hammer!

If it was the dishwasher, then why would the fauceet being turned on make the noise go away?

And I also agree that you need to check the water pressure too. If it's over 80 psi, you need a pressure reducing valve replaced and/or/ installed.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post

If it was the dishwasher, then why would the fauceet being turned on make the noise go away?
I didn't say it wasn't water hammer, what i said was that the dishwasher is obviously the cause of the problem. it goes away when you open the faucet b/c the shockwave has someplace to go, not just bouncing around in the pipes. a hammer arrestor might fix it for awhile, but the solenoid valve will continue to fail and eventually need to be fixed, so why put a bandaid on it?
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,434

I agree its water hammer. But I think the dishwasher is the ploblem. Perhaps an appliance repairman first before a plumber. The hammering has only been in the last few months so your PRV has failed or you have a solinoid issue in your DW.
Also, try posting this in the appliance forum before you call in any repair folks

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dishwasher, plumbing, water hammer