Dishwasher Install - Hot Water Valve Replacement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Dishwasher install - hot water valve replacement

We're adding a Bosch dishwasher to the kitchen in our new old house. There used to be a dishwasher some time long ago, but the previous homeowners removed it and turned the space into storage shelves...

Under the sink there's this valve on the hot water supply, which is currently unconnected to anything, but drips:

It's actually the only shutoff valve between there and the hot water tank (the riser to the sink has no shutoff). I guess if we're going to be attaching a dishwasher hose, maybe the drip doesn't matter, but I figured it would be better to replace it just in case...

I was hoping for some guidance on what exacly I'm looking for as a replacement. The copper pipe going in is 5/8" outer diameter, which I understand means it's 1/2" pipe. Is that a compression fitting? The threads on the outlet end are also about 1/2" OD when measured with calipers. However, the new dishwasher's hot water hose seems smaller, and looks like this:

Again, measuring with calipers, the "inside" diameter of the threaded piece above is about 1/2", so is this a 3/8" connector?

Can anyone tell me the name of the type of valve I'm looking for to replace this? Something like a 3/4" compression fitting to 3/8" ??? fitting hot water valve? I'm still learning the lingo here

Thanks!

R

Advertisement

Last edited by roboth; 05-06-2014 at 06:07 PM.
roboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Just go to the local Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and get the valve that fits that line. It is going to have to be 5/8" I/D for the pipe end. The hose end would be a 1/2" or 3/8" O/D Compression end.

A Sharkbite type fitting would be easier if you do not have room to put a wrench in there to tighten a compression type fitting faucet.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Just go to the local Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and get the valve that fits that line. It is going to have to be 5/8" I/D for the pipe end. The hose end would be a 1/2" or 3/8" O/D Compression end.

A Sharkbite type fitting would be easier if you do not have room to put a wrench in there to tighten a compression type fitting faucet.
I think there's enough room to move a wrench in there. So you're saying that for the hose end of the valve I would also use a 'compression' end?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

Not sure what it is called. But more important. You should empty your hot water heater before you take that valve off.
Edit- the hose is compression. I think.

Last edited by Robpo; 05-06-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Not sure what it is called. But more important. You should empty your hot water heater before you take that valve off.
I was planning on shutting off the water input to the hot water heater and relieving the pressure by opening a hot water tap. Is it necessary to drain it too?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 564

You just need to relive the pressure in the line. No need to drain the water heater.

This is what you need. It comes angled or straight.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...9?N=5yc1vZbbl6
roboth (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboth View Post
I think there's enough room to move a wrench in there. So you're saying that for the hose end of the valve I would also use a 'compression' end?
Same type of valve that is used for under a sink. The Rubber gasket inside the hose compresses against the threaded flared end of the faucet.

You are over thinking this at this point. Just go to the local hardware store mentioned and pick up a small sized pipe cutter to cut the old faucet off. Then use a "Shark Bite" fitting to replace the old. Or use another Compression type fitting faucet.

Remember that it has to be a 5/8" I/D for the end that slides onto the Copper pipe. The other should be a 3/8".
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
roboth (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

Quote:
I was planning on shutting off the water input to the hot water heater and relieving the pressure by opening a hot water tap. Is it necessary to drain it too?
That valve is pretty low, If the hot water heater is in the basement it will work but you want to drain it lower than the valve you are taking off. You could drain it out of the valve but it will take a while if hwheater is on the same floor.

Last edited by Robpo; 05-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Just shut off the incoming water to the house. Then open a faucet somewhere in the house. Place a couple of bath towels under the line when you go to cut it.

For as much time as you are spending on this thread. It would have been done and over in 20 minutes. Now get to it.
SHR Plumber (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
That valve is pretty low, If the hot water heater is in the basement it will work but you want to drain it lower than the valve you are taking off.
Thanks - yeah, the heater's in the basement and the kitchen's on the first floor, but I can drain it at the sink in the basement.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You are over thinking this at this point. Just go to the local hardware store mentioned and pick up a small sized pipe cutter to cut the old faucet off. Then use a "Shark Bite" fitting to replace the old. Or use another Compression type fitting faucet.

For as much time as you are spending on this thread. It would have been done and over in 20 minutes. Now get to it.

Heh. Sorry, I've never done any plumbing work before so I just don't want to create a disaster!

You're suggesting cutting pipes but is that necessary? I thought I could just unscrew this valve and put a new one on (with the correct outlet diameter)...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Follow what I stated above. You are not going to mess things up, since this is a simple fix that all home owners should know.

If your local Ace Hardware is as good as mine down the street. They can tell you what you need if you take the above picture and instruction manual for the dish washer.

Basically some initiative, a pipe cutter for Copper pipe, and a faucet. You may need some "Emory Cloth" to clean off the Copper Pipe, before putting on the new faucet.

If you milk it along. You can make it take an hour. At most you are talking 15 min's to do what you are doing.
roboth (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Funny .... pick them up all the time... but to rememberthe name....

it's gonna be close to a "Straight thru Angle Valve 1/2 Nominal Compression inlet X 3/8 male compression outlet".....

The 1/2 compression ring is gonna be frozen on your copper inlet.... but you can probably make it up with the old ring... if it leaks... then you will have to cut it off and use the new ring.... or you can also find the same valve in a Sharkbite (more expensive) but slips on without a nut, but you will have to cut off old compression ring.

And if you like for another couple dollars, get the same valve in a 1/4 turn ball valve.... which are nicer, but how often do you change out a dishwasher?????

Best

I'll be interested in exact name on that valve.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Well... It is a little confusing... as both ends are called compression... but they are a different kind of compression fitting.
gregzoll (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #15

Okay, I'm starting to understand. The reason gregzoll is telling me to cut the pipe is that the old compression fitting is going to be stuck in there?

(and thanks djlandkpl and MTN REMODEL LLC for the part recommendation)

Advertisement