DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dishwasher draining & water supply

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  majakdragon 
#1 ·
Hello, i recently purchased a older home that does not have a dishwasher in the kitchen. After a few months i decided that it is worth it to get one. The kitchen is not very big so i do not want to add one anywhere in the kitchen. My thought was to put it in the basement next to the washer and dryer. I am pretty sure it is possible to split the hot water from the washer to supply for the dishwasher. Is that correct? Also is there a way to drain the dishwasher into the same drain or pipe as the washer? I know it would be inconveinant to have the dishwasher in the basement but its better than not having one or making the kitchen space smaller than it is already. Thanks

#2 ·
Running a drain line to an existing kitchen sink drain is usually simple. If there is access to a hot water line from below, that is often the easiest. If not, a tap on the hot line under the sink works well. Having a DW remote from the sink/kitchen is not convenient, why not do them by hand?

#3 ·
I agree that this would probably be the most inconvienient place to have a DW. It will probably not get used much. I would shy away from installing the drain into the washer frain. The pressure from the washer draining would probably back up into the DW. Since newer washers are so much more powerful while draining, plumbing codes are now requiring 2" instead of the previous 1-1/2" of the past for the drain line. Ever think about a portable DW?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.