Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Structural Steel Detailer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dishwasher Drain Question

I plan on installing a dishwasher and had a question about how to connect the drain. I have a PVC pipe next to my drain pipes with some sort of a vent thing on top of it. Is this pipe a rough in for a dishwasher connection or just a vent? Can I attach the dishwaher drain to my garbage disposal without an air gap since I have this other vent? I would like to avoid having the air gap on top of the sink if possible. Any advice sould help me greatly.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jason

kypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Jason,
You need to check with your Building Inspection Department. Air gaps are local code-required in many places.
If it is not, you can just loop the dw drain hose as high as you can over the top of the dw to achieve a similar result.
Without being able to see what you're describing, it may be an air admittance valve used in lieu of a normal vent pipe. Here's what air admittance valves look like: www.studor.net .
If it is a drain hose connection, it should be a "Y" connection on the vertical sink drain tailpiece, or on the side of a disposal, and be open-ended at the top of the "Y".
The dw drainhose just slides onto the end of it and clamps on with ss hose clamps. If it is on a disposal, there is a knock-out plug in the disposal that needs to be tapped out with a screwdriver and hammer before attaching the dw drain hose.
Hope that this helps.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Structural Steel Detailer

It does look like an air admittance valve from that website. I have attached a picture of what it looks like under my sink. I also have another PVC pipe below the valve, as seen in the picture. Maybe this other pipe that is capped now is intended for the dishwasher. Does the air admittance valve do the same job as an air gap? BTW, in the basement there is only one larger PVC pipe comming thru the floor. I still have a disposal to install that is not shown in the pic. Should I connect the dishwasher drain to the disposal or to the other drainpipe that is capped? (the one on the left of the pic, not the cleanout attached to the sink drains)
Attached Images

kypper is offline   Reply With Quote