Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

dishwasher drain

I'm installing a dishwasher. I bought a drain piece with a spigot coming out one side for the DW to connect to. It also has a plastic nut to attach to the bottom of the sink drain. My question is the DW drain piece is smaller than the rest of the drain pipe which is 1 1/2 inch. Does the DW drain piece just sit in the rest of the drain piece or did I buy the wrong size. Thanks.

beech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #2

dishwasher drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I'm installing a dishwasher. I bought a drain piece with a spigot coming out one side for the DW to connect to. It also has a plastic nut to attach to the bottom of the sink drain. My question is the DW drain piece is smaller than the rest of the drain pipe which is 1 1/2 inch. Does the DW drain piece just sit in the rest of the drain piece or did I buy the wrong size. Thanks.
Can't quite picture what you're describing and asking. But when installing the DW drain hose, be sure it goes up higher than the point that you connect to the sink drain and that there is an "air gap" fitting at that high point. Otherwise junk from your sink will drain back to the dishwasher causing all kinds of problems. The airgap is needed to allow the stuff in the DW hose from the airgap to drain into the sink drain and also prevent any siphoning action to suck sink water back into the dishwasher.

FWIW, our dishwasher drain goes up to the kitchen sink where there was a round cutout made for an airgap fitting. I installed an airgap and the hose from the DW connects to that which automatically makes it higher than the garbage disposal. From the airgap there is a hose that connects to a fitting on the garbage disposal.

HomeRepairGuy

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
beech (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

dishwasher drain

If this is what you have it should be the same size as the sink drain, mostly 1-1/2 in. a different size then you have the wrong one
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

dishwasher drain

Thanks. That is what I have. So if I get the same thing in 1 1/2 and some washers and nuts I should be OK. Ty again.
beech is offline   Reply With Quote