Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Dish washer not cleaning properly

I have a 3 yr. old Maytag Quiet Series 200 dishwasher that's not cleaning very well. All of our glasses come out really cloudy and sometimes they have an odor, and a lot of the glasses/disher have food residue on them. We scrape our dishes leaving just enough debris for the detergent to latch onto (just like the manual said to do). We make sure that we run the disposal before we use the dishwasher so I don't think there's anything left in the line.

Can you help???

cliffordjuli@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Eibwen

I would check and clean the filters first [see your users manual or check maytag] and then the holes in the washer arms. If either are clogged it will mean low water flow/performance. Especially if you live in a hard water area.

Does it sound the same when running as before you had this problem?

Is there dirty water standing in the bottom of the washer after its done with a cycle?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordjuli@yahoo.com View Post
I have a 3 yr. old Maytag Quiet Series 200 dishwasher that's not cleaning very well. All of our glasses come out really cloudy and sometimes they have an odor, and a lot of the glasses/disher have food residue on them. We scrape our dishes leaving just enough debris for the detergent to latch onto (just like the manual said to do). We make sure that we run the disposal before we use the dishwasher so I don't think there's anything left in the line
One of my first steps would be to check the discharge line that connects the DW to the garbage disposer to make sure it is not partially clogged. If you do not have an airgap make sure the discharge line is raised up.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

One of the most common reasons is that the water temperature is not high enough. The temp should be 130 to 140. If not, the water will not dissolve the detergent, including liquids. Check at the bottom of the unit and see if there is food laying on top of the screen. Some particles are too big to go through.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

I think that dw may have a pre heat for the water, check the manual and panel for a setting. With an empty machine, pour several cups of white vinegar into it and run a full cycle, that will clean it up a bunch and will deodorize it. Do this AFTER you check the dischard line as the above post suggests
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
DIY'er

Be sure your discharge line is at or very near the top of your dishwasher before it connects to the drain, if the line from the dishwasher just runs to a floor drain for example, even if there is a air gap and such for back flow prevention, the dishwasher will not work properly, it will not fill.

Also Cascade Complete with bleach is the best detergent I have found. It is MUCH more expensive than other brands, about twice as much. It is over $6 for a 75 ounce box. Also you should use the rinse agent (I am using the cascade rinse agent right now)

Price aside, a properly working dishwasher with cascade complete almost never leaves me with a dirty or scummy dish or glass. I don't rinse, clean or prewash anything, I just throw it all in. Burnt on junk, grease, dried on food, everything.

Once in a great while a pot that is really bad will need to be run twice.

I have tested many other dish soaps and all the others leave some dishes dirty...

You could have some other problem as well, I recently took apart the bottom filter / motor assembly inside my dishwasher to clean it out (surprisingly it wasn't very dirty), if you do this, you will likely needs some torx bits. A $10 screwdriver kit from Harbor Freight is extremely useful for this task, it has a flex wand in the kit that is very helpful for taking the dishwasher apart.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote