Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Discolored hot water

I just replaced the flex piping from my water heater to the house and my hot water is now slightly discolored. I flushed out the water heater, but the water remains discolored. Any suggestions?

tkwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Discolored hot water

Ayuh,... let it run for abit, to purge it...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

Discolored hot water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwertz View Post
I just replaced the flex piping from my water heater to the house and my hot water is now slightly discolored. I flushed out the water heater, but the water remains discolored. Any suggestions?
One way to clean up the bottom portion of the tank (where the sediment accumulates) would be to drain all of the water out of the water heater, flush the bottom portion, and then fill it back up again.

Maybe try this:
1. Turn off the water heater so the elements won't burn out.
2. Turn the valve that feeds cold water into the heater off.
3. Connect a hose to the drain valve on the side of the tank close to the bottom to allow drainage to an acceptable place. The hose should all be lower than the drain valve.
4. Open the heater's drain valve to release any built up pressure in the system. You might need a screwdriver to open the valve, depending on the type of valve.
5. Open the the pressure relief valve (T&P valve) on the heater.
6. Drain all of the water out of the heater.
7. With the heater's drain still open, fully open the input water valve for a short time and then turn it off and let the water drain out. This will allow the incoming water pressure to flush out the bottom portion of the tank.
8. Repeat step-5, varying the time of water input as you feel appropriate, until the water runs clear.
9. Close the drain valve.
10. Close the pressure relief valve on the heater.
11. Open the hot water faucet in your laundry room (which should have 2 handles (hot and cold) and not be a single handle faucet).
12. Fill the heater until the water out of the faucet runs solid and clear with no air bursts.
13. Remove the aerators on every hot water faucet and run them to clear any air pockets and discolored water remaining in the pipes.
14. Turn the water heater back on.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-13-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added steps 3 and 4.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Discolored hot water

Thanks for the detailed reply, HomeRepairGuy. I did flush out the water heater yesterday, but perhaps not enough. I'll try your instructions right away!
tkwertz is offline   Reply With Quote