Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Disassembling PVC Joints??

Is it possible to take an existing PVC joint apart?

I accidentillay pushed a short mangled piece if 1/2" flex irrigation line into the PVC elbow while trying to twist it out of this compression fitting. The piece is just sitting in the 90* 1/2" pvc elbow right at the dirt's level. I'd hate to have to dig it all out and rebuild the section. Is there anything that can help me take this fitting off?

THANKS!!!
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

If that piece is not cemented in, I recommend a good pair of channel lock pliers.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Unfortunatly, it's all cemented in. I'll probably just have to dig it up, cut it out, and redo it. I was just wondering if there is a home remedy or something for undoing cemented pvc joints.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Why do you need to take it out?

You could always add a couple to that piece.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #5

Because there is a short piece of mangled 1/2" flex irrigation line in the elbow that I can't get out.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #6

During the years I worked on my irrigation system and hung around irrigation related forums, only once did I ever see ANYTHING in regards to "un-glueing" PVC. Someone had invented some tool that used heat to some how un-glue a joint and claimed the pieces could be reused afterwards. At best most professionals were skeptical. At best, it works perfect and would cost you more that to dig, cut, and redo.

If the stub is "glued" into the PVC, and you can't "glue" something to the other end of the "mangled" stub, then
you're going to be digging, cutting, and redoing.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #7

PVC pipe cement melts the plastic and the pieces are now welded together. Nothing will get it apart.

Either you have to cut off the elbow and attach to the pipe further back, or you have to round out the little black part (the mangled segment) and glue on the next piece and hope it doesn't leak due to the mangledness not making good contact.

One thing I would try, if there is no other easy alternative, is to glue on the next piece (most likely an elbow) making sure a good butt (rim to rim) joint is achieved with the existing elbow.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-17-2010 at 11:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #8

how much digging can there be to get below that elbow and add a coupling. sheesh
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I'll just dig it all out and redo the section.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
South Jersey

They sell reaming tools that will carve the pipe out of the fitting so you can re-use it. However, their price makes them more expensive than digging up and replacing the piece and I doubt I would ever have any faith in a re-used fitting. I imagine it would be something only worthwhile for a professional plumber to have.
Reddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #11

if you're just putting on new flex line, take a razor blade and very carefully slice it off the barb fitting that its on. if you need a different connector, you're gonna have to cut it out. there is a tool to remove pvc pipe from a fitting (called a ram bit) but i don't trust it on anything other than DWV, and I barely trust it on that.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #12

If thats ABS glued to PVC I would worry about that joint, it's not recommended to glue the two together.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote