DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Difficult Inspector - air chamber

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 · (Edited)
An Inspector and I had a disagreement. He gave permission for the drywall to go up and he inspected and passed the drywall. Later he found out the Plumbing Rough was not done - in the computer system. He actually did inspect Plumbing rough, but because I never specifically called for a Plumbing Rough it didn't get input into the computer system. He forgot he inspected it and passed it verbally.

Long story short, he wanted me to open the walls to insure an "air chamber" was put in for the refrigerator (ice maker) and the dish-washer. I refused since he had already inspected it and he had given me permission to put up the drywall.

So I did an end-run (football term). I closed the ice-maker valve, capped the 3/8 compression fitting and custom fit some drywall over the valve that is recessed into the wall, chalked and painted it. Then I yanked the dishwasher, plugged it's drain in the disposal and replaced the hot water valve with one that only had one out-put to the facet.

When the Inspector showed up he now had nothing to pass or fail as far as the air-chambers go. I removed them from the equation. He scratched them from the list. I made it easy for him and made some some extra work for me. But it was worth it.

Of course, I know the air chambers are there and I will reverse my work in due time. Now, everyone is happy.

Best of all I didn't have to cut through 3/4" wood (back of cabinet) and then 1/2" drywall to show him the air-chamber for the dishwasher.

The inspector's boss told me to just put in an external air-chamber, like for a cloths washer. But it would not work on a sweated fitting for the ice-maker or for the fittings for the dish-washer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Next time just make sure you call for all your rough-in inspections before drywall and avoid the confrontation and extra work. The inspector normally has a written work order of sorts based on what you call in for. They might not be looking to see if you've had all your prior inspections. In a case like this, the burden of proof would fall on you.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

#4 ·
Aren't you supposed to get a (written) sign off on the plumbing rough inspection as well as all of the other sub-inspections?

Reactions: tim999
#10 ·
If the inspector gives you a list of things to fix then he is supposed to come back and verify that those things are fixed and then circle the appropriate item on your green card.

After that you may go on to the next step that might cover up the work done so far.

Reactions: tim999
#5 ·
My Inspector did not give me a "written" sign off, he would only give me a list of things to fix. The Elec. Inspector did put a green tag on a window where they can circle the various completed inspections, but some did not care to update it even when it was pointed out to them. Also my normal Inspector hates computers. The other Inspectors had a laptop and a printer in their truck. They gave me a print-out of things to fix and updated the main computer immediately, but my Inspector (old-school) did things on paper, which means he had to turn in the paper work and someone had to update the computer system for him. If he lost his paperwork then someone got screwed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.