DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Different type of shower drain?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
Was at a friend's house and he asked me if its possible to build a shower (tile) whereby, instead of a traditional centre drain, he would like the entire width of the back floor of the shower act as the drain. (a rectangular grid as it were, something like you would see at the bottom of a sloped driveway) I have never seen, let alone installed something like this. Are these drains available? Do they adapt to a 2" PVC drain pipe? The reason he wants this is because he wants to tile the bathroom floor and continue, uninterrupted into a shower area with a slope towards the back.

I like my non-ecclectic friends better!:laughing:

CC

#2 ·
Yes, they make them and I think it would be called a troth drain. They are generally used in commercial applications, there are different types you can buy I would assume. Thinking back I seem to remember the gym showers in my high school had recessed pits along the wall that were tiled and had round drains so many feet apart in the tiled troth. But you can also use pre-made ones with a grate to cover the whole troth but they may be rather industrial looking.

#5 ·
I've actually thought of the same thing before and planned on doing it one day just to have something different. A decent tile guy could probably build you one. You basically need a pit then you install an ordinary shower drain in it. So long as everything is sloped to the drain it should be fine. The biggest trouble may be finding a grate.

*begin off topic rant
The pool at a gym I used to belong to had one of these all the way around. That's where I got the idea. This allowed them to have the water level the same as the floor level. It looked pretty nice, and when you consider the pool is ninety years old it's impressive how they got everything so perfect and it is still perfect ninety years later.
*end off topic rant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.