Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Different: Connecting 2 Sump pumps.

I recently had an paver patio installed along the back of my house. Looks great. One problem however-- I had to remove one of my discharge pipes for a sump pump. Now that I can no longer discharge this sump pump out of the back of my house, I am stuck with a dilemma.

1. Drain it into my septic line. That's a bad choice!

2. Pipe it over to another sump well, and then use that as the discharge pump. (Unfortunately I would not be able to run it into the discharge line at an acceptable slope secondary to distance, joist direction, and HVAC impediments. That's why I'd have to just dump it into the sump well.)

3. Run it to the front of the house, where it would then discharge underground. This would require a lot of digging and disruption of mature landscaping.

To me 1 is unacceptable, 2 is the easiest, and 3 feasible but I have never done it this way before.

Ideas??

JMueksch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Always learning...

Where are your downspouts currently draining?

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #3

The majority of my downspouts are draining to their own dedicated pop ups, 20 feet or so from the foundation. None are easily accessible to this sump pump. If I did that, I would have to run it's own dedicated pop up line. Not out of the question though.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #4

#1 is an absolute no-no everywhere in the world.

For #2, if you dug another sump in a different corner of your basement (added: and pump from there), you might luck out and find that the first sump never fills up. This is likely to be the case if you have a good perimeter drain system and the second sump is connected.

For #3, where underground would the water discharge (to)?

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-28-2010 at 01:02 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #5

Agree 1 is a no no. I was surprised when I bought the house 2 years ago and I could not find where the rear downspouts discharged. Did a little digging and found somebody connected them to the main septic line. Surprised and P!ssed. Fixed that problem. Luckily the previous owners did not ruin the field!!! Turns out whoever did the shoddy work did not bury the pipes deep enough and previous aerations destroyed the pipes and the just emptied into the mulch beds!! Thanks God!

As for digging another septic well, that's a possibility, but more work than I was really hoping to do if there was another way. Have a good perimeter drain and I really do not take on much water. Pumps run maybe once to twice a year!!!!

If I did underground, I would just have to pipe out 15' from the foundation and just do a pop up like I did for my downspouts. However, I do not know if you can do this for sump pumps????? I'd have to size up from 1.5" to 4" after exiting the house though.

http://www.guttersupply.com/p-tile-a...-Emitter.gstml
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

If you have something specific to add then state it

If not then do not post
Review the Posting Rules
This is the 2nd time today I've moved your posts to the Moderator area
Continued violations are grounds for suspension of your posting priveleges
http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?f..._posting_rules

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-28-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: edited post
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

Anybody else have any responses?

Thanks.

Last edited by JMueksch; 02-28-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removing due to removal of previous post this was a response too!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

ok let me rephrase the question then.does the water from the laterals and the ground water not intermingle in the area of the laterals?since it has been stated pumping the groundwater from sump pump into the septic tank will destroy the laterals i think this is a legitimate question.
incase some of you are unfamiliar with the way a septic tank operates heres the basics: solids settle to bottem of tank and are pumped out as needed,liquids run out to the leech field/laterals once they reach a certain level in the tank and soak into the ground along with the surrounding ground water.
So i guess im just not understanding what differance the little bit of ground water the sump pump is pumping out which being returned to where it came from makes on lateral fields in the septic system,if i dont get to ask any questions by all means feel free to boot me out of here!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Hey, thanks for the more meaningful reply. If a question was in there the first time, I apologize cuz I missed it. Not trying to report anybody, just a homeowner looking for help.

I put an attachment on this post that has a rough outline of my house. I am on a crawl space. The light green is the pump in question. The dark greens are my other sump pumps. The red is the septic line with the solids, liquids, and pipe to leach field. The gray is the patio area. To the front of the house to the pump in question is 26 feet. The solid lines in the house are concrete walls for foundations for the additions.

In your response, are you saying I should pump into septic system. As far as I know that's a no no as it could overload the system.

Thanks again.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICKIL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICKIL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICKIL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Different: Connecting 2 Sump pumps.-house-draw.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

that was my origional point i should of stated differantly,i guess i just have enough patience for these things! anyway what im saying is if you pump it back into the yard it will all end up in the water table under the property along with your laterals from your septic tank so its not going to affect it any more than a heavy rain or snow soaking into the ground
Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #11

Wow...4 sump pumps...that's a lot...high water table ?
Is the 4th pump needed ?
Why was the discharge not run under the patio & out to the side of the patio ?
Do you have a pic of the slope of your yard ?
Mine used to run a lot in the Spring
I'm lucky in that my yard slopes towards a stream on one side of the property

Myself I would never pump into my septic field
My last house the Setpic system was ~$16k to have installed
Not something you want to do or risk messing up

Pumping it out front might not be a good idea
You don't want it anywhere near the driveway, sidewalk or street
In some areas pumping it towards the street is illegal
Building Inspector knocked on one door in my last neighborhood & told them to shut the sump pump off
It was pumping out front onto the street, freezing weather & there was 1-3" of ice on the street
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #12

I have 4 because of the additions previously done. Each are separate foundations and each have their own perimeter drain. I did not do the patio -- 1000 sq ft, 2 levels, 40 yards of crushed base!!!) but I wish they did run it through there. Too late now.

Not worried about front of house per se, as I am 100 ft from the road. However, front of house where I would exit is below grade, thus the pop up idea from earlier. Ground fairly flat, although hard to tell from pic. I am the full house with diamond deck (now gone, with patio, but no pic!).

As for septic bed, as I've said, the pumps only run 1-2 times a year. Grade sloped well and all run off carried away. So, a sump pump going into a lateral field would not be a big deal.

Scuba Dave-- dude you took on one heck of a project!!!! Looks good.
Attached Images

Tags
discharge pipe, sump pump, sump well