Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Difference in fixtures?

Is there any difference in delta and mown faucets bought from HD and Lowes and ones from plumbing supply houses? I'm a HVAC tech and some things like thermostats are different and since I am remodeling the kitchen I was wondering if the same was true with faucets.

Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,090

Difference in fixtures?

IMO, yes. Local plumbing supply stores products seem to be better to me. Stay tuned, see what other plumbers are saying.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Difference in fixtures?

From my experiences.....sometimes.Ive repaired moen tub and shower faucets from Home Depot and they are identical to ones bought in supply houses.Kitchen and lav faucets usually have a different style and manufactured cartariages.The body of the faucet seems the same though,just cheaper guts
plumberman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,218

Difference in fixtures?

I'll just say that some of the box store brands will not be found in a plumbing supply house--ever!
Moen does make models specific to box stores, I would imagine other brands do too
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

Difference in fixtures?

most box stores sell cheaper made guts but if you know what to look for they carry a few with better guts. but one thing that is rare to find at box store is a good drain Assembly with them
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Difference in fixtures?

Here's what I know :

When I first started plumbing about 6 years ago, we'd have people call asking us to install something they bought at home depot or ACE, and the quality was significantly different.

Now with everything going to low lead, even the stuff coming from our suppliers is mostly plastic. The rumor I have heard for the reason behind this is that with lead being removed from the brass, we now have to replace it with some other kind of metal Read : HARDER metal. As you can imagine, this is causing problems for the tools that used to cut the brass with the lead in it, and wearing them out, and breaking them much more rapidly than before. One of our catalogs lists lead free brass at 3x the price of the standard brass fittings. At this point, we aren't regulated to buy lead free, but when that happens, we will probably go to stainless steel. Already we can buy stainless fittings at the hardware store for a few dollars less than the lead free brass that is starting to show up.

There are a few particular styles of faucets out there that we can get that seem to be mostly brass, but they are few and far between.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

Difference in fixtures?

The lead free brass seems to have just started showing up at the big box stores on the eastern coast. I needed a two inch threaded 1/2 inch brass nipple, it was 7 bucks at the big box. Alan has a good point, everything is going down, just a race to the bottom. I do not install customer faucets.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Difference in fixtures?

Yes box store sells inferior products of the same model I get from my supply house. I proved to a colleague of mine two kohler faucets one from HD other my supplier. Plastic drain weight was less on box store faucet by a good amount.
joes plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

Difference in fixtures?

I've wondered the same thing......

We bought a PP faucet back in 2000...got it from the Expo (high end HD)......nice solid goose neck job....but the hose started to leak...just a drip or two every hour....but after days...it adds up...so they sent us a replacement....it was the same thing that HD carries....while it had one feature added that I liked, it was not the same 'quality' as the old one....

Recently when we were buying the wife's tub from Ferguson, I asked the sales guy the same question....yes, there is a difference....the big box stores are just cheap copies of stuff they sell contractors.

The guts might be the same (no reason to use a different cartridge)....but you really see it in the outside...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote