Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Difference b/t septic tank and treatment plant...

I basically know the operational difference, (I think) but I thought septic tanks were becoming taboo, esp in new construction. (particularly the drain field aspect)

I thought local Health Depts (which is who issues our permits for on-site systems, LA) were moving away from septic b/c the technology of trtmnt plants was growing.

Reason I ask is we are building a new home out in the sticks and i am specing a sewer plant for the home, but I am not finding a whole lot of info on residential trtmnt plants, just septic. I have never built a home w/ on-site sewer, always been city sewer available. Thanks

jjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Go with a septic system. It will be far less expensive to build and maintain. I've been on one for more than 32 years. No problems. If you pump the tank out at least every five years, basically the only maintenance recommended, it should last you a lifetime (if built properly). You do NOT need to add any ripoff additives. Normal usage will provide all of the bacteria necessary. Just keep solids (cig butts, feminine products), grease, harsh chemicals, etc. out of it.
Your Health Department should conduct soil samples and custom-design you a good septic system. Here in northeastern NC, a good basic system for a 3-4 bedroom home will run less than $2,000. Any individual treatment system will cost you many thousands more to build and maintain. (It only costs about $265 to have the septic tank pumped out every five years here. I have it done in every year that ends with a 0 or 5 to keep it idiot proof.)
Good luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

Bump.

Anybody else?
jjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #4

Septic system gets my vote. The aerator type system and mound system require regular maintenance and in some places require you to train a new owner if you sell. They are usually required in areas with bad peculation or when there is insufficient area for a proper leach field.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #5

The reason you are not finding much info on treatment plants is due to the cost for a residential unit (if even available). Septics have been around for many years and work just fine if treated properly by the owner. I doubt that a treatment plant works automatically, so besides the cost ofinstalling, it may be labor intensive for a home owner.