DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Did I ruin toilet/vent after installing sink???

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wkearney99 
#1 ·
OK, let me see if I can describe this well enough to get some help.

We have a half bath (toilet and sink) on the first floor. This bathroom backs up to our garage. In the garage, on the same wall as the bathroom, I wanted to install a utility (laundry) sink. I pulled down the drywall in the garage to expose the 2" drain line from the bathroom sink. I installed waste tee in that line, and ran 2" pipe over to utility sink. I essentially tied into the existing sink drain line for the utility sink drain. No vent specifically for the utility sink, I'm "sharing" the bathroom sink vent.

Now, utility sink works fine, drains no problem, etc, etc. Almost immediately after installing this set-up, two of our toilets stopped flushing. Water would just hang out in the toilet and drain very slowly. Dumping big 5 gallon bucket of water into toilet did not cause a "flush" water still drained very slowly.

Could my new install somehow of effected the ability for my toilets to drain?

_mike

#2 ·
Can you draw a little sketch showing the vent stack, the toilet drains, and the two sinks, and where it all hooks up to eachother?

Any chance you stuck a rag in a drain somewhere when you were installing the new drain Tee, and forgot to take it out? Are the other drains slow? If you dump a 5g bucket of water in the utility sink or other sinks in the house, do they drain slowly too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.