Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Did houses really have plumbing systems built this way?

Okay... I've got to ask about this because something that a plumber told me sounds unbelievable.

Background first, I bought my house and moved in his August. The house was bank owned, and it's in Michigan so with the foreclosure process, red tape at Fannie Mae and the extent of repairs done by the bank the house most likely sat unoccupied for well over a year. Before that, I hear it was a rental - and the bills and collection notices that have come in the mail for people I never heard of seem to be consistent, because there've been at last 8 different names on stuff that has come in the mail.

So anyway, after I started living in the house, I noticed that after using the shower or bathtub, water would back up through the floor drain in the basement, but it would drain back down within 5 minutes or so. I figure a simple cleaning was necessary, a camera inspection would be nice.

Moving in was hurried because closing was delayed by Fannie Mae red tape on repairs that were required from the inspection, I had 1 week to move in before the buyer on my old house took possession. I still am backlogged on things I need to do. So I just called Roto Rooter rather than putting in my usual diligence in finding the best option.

The plumber got the drain cleaned out, I left him to do his work while I was unpacking or something, after he was done he told me that it was cleaned out, but that long-term what is needed is for the basement floor to be broken away and to remove the P-trap that was put in under the floor before the 6" line to the city sewer main. He quoted $2500.

Now, I'm wondering... Why would anyone actually put a P-trap between an entire house's plumbing system and the sewer main? The house was built in 1928. Did plumbing systems really get built like this? Or is this as suspicious as it sounds?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Sounds right but I would not use that brand name company for the work . They are over priced.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

It's called a house trap

Not done in my area anymore but not uncommon to find them

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

houses in the city of buffalo and at least one suburb still require a house trap.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

In some areas of the country back in time they ran the footer drains the downspouts and the toilets into the same pipe. The house trap prevents the sewer gas from coming up in the storm drains which usually were not trapped.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Master Plumber

With Roto rooter your plumbing will get the rooting and the homeowners gets the shaft. stay away from that company.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
With Roto rooter your plumbing will get the rooting and the homeowners gets the shaft. stay away from that company.

No different here Javiles
Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

yeah. roto-rooter is BAD news !!!

i hired them to clear a pipe at my mil's house. they cleared it, but said that the whole main had to be replaced. a $300 bill for the work done.
about 1 month later, it plugged up again. my mil called the city. they gave her the number of an older gent they liked/used. he cleared the pipe for $120. it has been 1 1/2 years now, and no issues.

roto-rooter = roto-robbers
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
I ask the impossible!

Okay, so I take it then that having a house trap might not be such a detrimental thing and I most likely won't need to do anything about it?

My choice of Roto-Rooter was really just a moment of weakness, kind of part from exhaustion due to the rapid pace of moving in a condensed time period and having to watch kids, and having gotten full custody of the dog with a yard enclosed by a flawed fence... And on top of it, the kids like to play outside, resulting in them going in an out frequently, and the dog running out when they do this.

My flawed reasoning was that I'd found better plumbers before, but I did that through Angieslist and I let my membership lapse. Never in my weakened state did occur to me that I would probably be able to save money using a better plumber and renewing Angieslist vs. the $300 that RotoRooter charged.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

What I would suggest is call your local plumbing inspector and ask him. No reason for him to lie to you.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If he got it opened up and working, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote