Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Dewinterizing house: Major pipe vibrations

My wife and I just bought our first investment property. The house sat empty for at least a year, dewinterized sometime last fall.
I've gone through and fixed all (I think/hope) of the bad joints and popped pipes. The city also installed a brand new water meter onto the main.
Now, when I open up the water main, the pipes pressurize as normal. But as soon as I turn on any faucet or valve, the watermain (from the meter to the softener) starts vibrating bad. You can hear it throughout the house, and I equate the sound to setting a running jackhammer on to the main floor.
At one point, i turned on the washer shutoff, got the air out, and the vibration stopped for about 2 minutes...I thought I finally had it solved. But it came back shortly after. Once I shut off any all of the faucets, and the pressure settles (about 10-30 seconds) the noise/vibrations fades out to non-existant, but within seconds of turning on any valve, the vibration starts up again.
Thoughts/ideas? The water heater is filled, but not yet running (I don't plan to leave the water on overnight for the first few days, just turning it on while we're actually in the house working, for obvious reasons).

brihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Nothing to do with pipes not being secured inside the walls?

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

I would assume not. The basement is all unfinished, with pipes exposed. All pipe clamps still exist.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brihyn View Post
I would assume not. The basement is all unfinished, with pipes exposed. All pipe clamps still exist.
Sound's like you need a water hammer installed in the line. If you dont know what that is consult a plumer and he will tell you where to install. It is a pipe with a cap on it that is installed in the water line to take the the vibration out or when water hits the end of the pipes that is the noise you get here what it look's like also go here and read http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...fix-pipes5.htm
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

picture of meter assy would help....may be a pressure regulator issue????? you say it does it on any faucet you open...that means it at the meter area..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Do the pipes rattle the same way when either a cold faucet or a hot faucet is opened?

There could still be an air pocket trapped in a nearly horizontal stretch of pipe.
plummen (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

I'd be checking the water pressure first then going back and bleed all the lines agin.
Your going to have to start at the closest one to the meter and work your way out. Do not forget to flush all the toilets, open the relieve valve on the water heater, open outside faucets, and the shower.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #8

I had the same thing happen when I tried to "dewinterize" my house.

It was the pressure regulator that had failed.

Yes you could hear it outside the house too. It was that loud.

New regulator = no noise.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

could be the regulator, I was looking at that, but knowing little about plumbing, no idea what to check. As that's below the water meter, would it be a safe bet that that would be something the city would have to repair?
It is any faucet, both cold and hot, though I don't have the water heater running yet.
I actually stopped yesterday morning and found that my first joint I repaired failed (not surprising, it didn't look near as good as later ones that I fixed). I've got the section cut out so that the pipes would completely drain, and plan to replace that chunk of pipe tonight and see if I can get this all fixed yet.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

In my area, western MA, it's usually set up:
City Supply - Water Meter - Regulator - House supply.

Here the homeowner is responsible for the regulator.

With the exception of the water meter the only thing that has moving parts is the regulator. If you can disconnect the regulator and try to flow water you may be able to isolate the source.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #11

Just spoke to the city worker who had originally replaced the water meter when we took possesion. The regulator is actually between the meter and the street, so i thought it was worth asking. After hearing what it was doing, he immediately asked if we had a regulator valve in place (i didn't do a very good job asking my question initially, apprently).
He's going to meet me there tomorrow hopefully and give it a check before I have to call a plumber.
So, with any luck, I can still get this plumbing all working yet!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brihyn For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-01-2012), plummen (02-01-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #12

Just a quick update...i finally got the regulator valve to crank down to the low end, then slowly raised it up to around 48psi. All the pipes are nice and quiet now. Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brihyn View Post
Just a quick update...i finally got the regulator valve to crank down to the low end, then slowly raised it up to around 48psi. All the pipes are nice and quiet now. Thanks to everyone for the help!
good deal glad we could help...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote