Determine Septic Tank/Field Location For Garage (poss Relocation) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Determine Septic Tank/Field Location for Garage (poss Relocation)

I am about to move into my first house that I actually get to do some remodeling to and the biggest project (and the one I was most excited for) may have to permanently be put on hold.

I want to build a separate garage with a connected office ~25' off of the side of my house. I knew there is a septic tank next to the house in the same direction I want to build the garage, but I am under the impression that ~25 will allow for enough space to work on the septic tank if need be. If this isn't the case this is problem one and I need to know the amount of space that I need to allow full range on the septic tank.

If the septic tank shouldn't be an issue, I have been informed that the leach field could run in the same direction I want to build my garage, which would obviously mean a no go on the garage. Does anyone have any idea on how to find out where the septic field lies without digging everything up, and if it is in the way is there any good way to move it in another direction?

Thank you for the help, as I am just starting to put ideas together I am sure this is going to be my first of many posts on this site.

Advertisement

zgc7009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,256

If you lucky all the info on your septic system may be in the county health, zoning or building office.
A copy should come with all the paper work when you buy the house.
The last thing you want to get into is moving the leach field.
Not a cheap job.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

I was afraid of that, fortunately the house is my great grandparents house on my grandparents property so I haven't had to pay anything for it. The downside is that I have no clue what information the county actually has on file. I was planning on asking as soon as I get into town and get a chance to check on things, just didn't know what the easiest way would be to find it should it not be filed. Thanks for the response joe.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,894

I'm guessing the septic system might be pretty old. The Health Department paperwork (if there is any) will tell you when it was installed. They do wear out. If you have enough land, I suggest getting a perc test and installing a new system where it won't interfere with your garage plans. They aren't super expensive; mine was put in four years ago for around $3,000.

I don't know of any easy way to determine exactly where the leach field is located. Again, the paperwork should tell you if there is any. And to complicate things further, there may not even be one - there are some septic system designs that don't use a bunch of long laterals running across your yard.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,116

There is usually some settlement where the laterals run.

The Grass is always greener over the septic system.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies:

md2lgyk - A new septic system cost $3,000 to install or the perc test cost $3,000? Perhaps $3,000 for a move and no new equipment? Seems too low for a new install/parts and too high for a test, just looking for some clarification

jagans - Thanks for the hints, I will take a look.

Is 12' from center on a septic tank enough clearance to build things should I ever need to get to the tank as long as the location doesn't interfere with the runs?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,894

To clarify, the $3,000 was for installing the tank and laterals. Here, the perc test is free. And there's no way you're going to be able to move what's there now. The "equipment" for a septic system is pretty cheap - a tank (plastic required here), some perforated pvc pipe, and gravel.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leachfield , septic