DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deteriorated concrete around toilet flange

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  speedy5966 
#1 ·
OK, so water coming from under the toilet, time for a new wax seal. Take off the toilet, clean and replace everything, and notice the flange is made of metal where the bowl bolts down, and it seems pretty rusty. Didn't figure it would hold, but thought I'd try anyway. No luck, bolts pulled through the rusty flange. Time for a new flange. Pulled the old one off, and managed to drill/chisel the plastic part of the old flange off of the drain pipe. It must have been leaking for a long time, because the concrete around the flange has deteriorated, about 1/2 inch down, and 1/2 to 1 inch outward, all around. What do I attach the new flange to? I scraped away all of the really bad, soft concrete, and even what's left is a little soft, but I don't want to get too carried away. Can I run anchors in at a 45 degree angle, outward from the hole, and get into solid concrete? I could bend them first, so that the end is straight up when installed, and could use a nut and washer to hold it down. Or, do I open the hole bigger, and "backfill", for lack of better term, new concrete under and behind what's there? Other suggestions, or advice on the right way to fix it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Kinda what I was leaning toward, but hoping there was an easier way that was still "right". I'm going to chip out enough of the old, so that the anchors are all directly into all new concrete, with at least an inch of new around them. I just hate concrete jobs so small, because the rest of the bag of quickcrete always ends up wasted.

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.