Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Delta or Moen for Bath Remodel

I'm doing a complete remodel of my bathroom and I need to select a tub faucet and shower system. Ideally one with separate temperature and flow controls.

I originally was looking at Delta (like the 13 or 17 series) but then after reading some reviews about the parts being made of cheap plastic (including a plastic tub faucet which I find unbelievable!!), I am concerned about the reliability and quality of Delta.

I also heard Moen are good.

Any recommendations on a good quality all metal, reliable tub and shower system with easy to find spare parts?

pankaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 32

Either one come with liftime waranty on parts. Big box/plumbing supply stores sell parts for both brands. I have both brands in my house. Prefer the style of the moen better myself. Just my opinion.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

I recommend both brands---the quality of the trims vary from plastic to metal--but the guts are the same--so the life of the valve is very good.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
24+ years of fixin'

Rewards Points: 2

Myself, I prefer Moen. But Delta is good as well, comes down to what do you want to look at daily? (leave my ex out of the picture)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

I will only use Moen. Delta maybe good but they really sold me a bad big box valve and I never forgave them. Completely cured me of buying anything from the bigbox.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

I prefer the style of moen and installed them in my bathroom years ago . I recently remodeled and used moen again. I bought them from a local plumbing supple and in the case of the remodel, my contractor did as well. Everytime I bought a faucet from a big box I have an issue with it. Lasts four or five years and I am fixing it or replacing it. Pretty well stopped buying anything at a big box.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

the big box stores ..sell only grade c products.....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
the big box stores ..sell only grade c products.....
Common mis-conception, not true. The faucets at the big box stores are identical quality to the same model numbers at the plumbing wholesale houses. The key is the model numbers, big box stores tend to stock less expensive models because it is what their customers demand.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
Common mis-conception, not true. The faucets at the big box stores are identical quality to the same model numbers at the plumbing wholesale houses. The key is the model numbers, big box stores tend to stock less expensive models because it is what their customers demand.
i respectfully disagree....when a faucet is made it has to pass quality control...like if wall thickness is to be .065 and it comes out .045 its not bad or leaking but its shy of its quality thickness ..this is a blemish product.....or grade c ...how do i know worked in quality control for faucet company...the hardware stores and big box stores eat these up...just like tires....you can buy goodyear blemishes ...tire that did not measure to quality standard of the company ...sometimes for 50% less than one that does pass quality control...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
i respectfully disagree....when a faucet is made it has to pass quality control...like if wall thickness is to be .065 and it comes out .045 its not bad or leaking but its shy of its quality thickness ..this is a blemish product.....or grade c ...how do i know worked in quality control for faucet company...the hardware stores and big box stores eat these up...just like tires....you can buy goodyear blemishes ...tire that did not measure to quality standard of the company ...sometimes for 50% less than one that does pass quality control...
I have sold faucets for over 20 years and have a close relationship with many manufacturers. Any "seconds" are sold as seconds to the retailer. Menards is the only company I know that sells seconds through their web site, priced accordingly but usually do not mention they are manufacturer rejects. I have a love/hate relationship with these when my clients have me install them. The client always ends up paying way more for me to repair the new faucet so it works, then if they had bought a quality faucet to begin with.

Bottom line is the manufacturer rejects are out there; not on the shelves of stores like Home Depot though (and I HATE Home Depot).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-29-2014), Chris130 (07-29-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Lord of Slums

everything has gotten so cheap it almost does not matter. Some of that glacier bay is criminally cheap
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
everything has gotten so cheap it almost does not matter. Some of that glacier bay is criminally cheap
And many of the Glacier Bay purchasers still complain because they feel the cost is too high. Ugh, many people do not care about quality, just lower prices. That is why the low quality products have become prevalent.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
Chris130 (07-29-2014), gmaint (07-29-2014), mnp13 (07-29-2014)