Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

Share |

Delta faucet nightmare

Hi;
Two years ago, I replaced the aging Gerber faucet in the kitchen with a Delta Cicero 468-SD-DST pull-down model. It worked fine for about 3 mos then the valve went bad (it constantly dripped), so I notified Delta, and they sent me a new valve assembly. The faucet was good again for another 18mos then started the dripping again. Thanks for Delta's lifetime warranty, and the fact that I have all of the receipts, I was able to get a new valve assy free of charge once more. I installed the second assy in Jan 2011.

Recently, we have noticed water dripping down into the cabinet under the sink, and until tonight I didn't know where it was coming from. Then I found that water was leaking from the top of the valve assembly. I took the faucet apart, not finding anything loose, but when I re-assembled it, I must have tightened the brass collar a little more, and there is no more leak, at least for now.

I am very disappointed with this Delta faucet, and my next step when (not if) if fails again, I am going to request a whole new faucet.
This leaves me with a wonder; does anyone make a quality kitchen faucet anymore, or is everybody using cheap plastic parts that just don't have the durability that the old brass ones did?

Thanks for your comments/advice.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

Delta faucet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
Two years ago, I replaced the aging Gerber faucet in the kitchen with a Delta Cicero 468-SD-DST pull-down model. It worked fine for about 3 mos then the valve went bad (it constantly dripped), so I notified Delta, and they sent me a new valve assembly. The faucet was good again for another 18mos then started the dripping again. Thanks for Delta's lifetime warranty, and the fact that I have all of the receipts, I was able to get a new valve assy free of charge once more. I installed the second assy in Jan 2011.

Recently, we have noticed water dripping down into the cabinet under the sink, and until tonight I didn't know where it was coming from. Then I found that water was leaking from the top of the valve assembly. I took the faucet apart, not finding anything loose, but when I re-assembled it, I must have tightened the brass collar a little more, and there is no more leak, at least for now.

I am very disappointed with this Delta faucet, and my next step when (not if) if fails again, I am going to request a whole new faucet.
This leaves me with a wonder; does anyone make a quality kitchen faucet anymore, or is everybody using cheap plastic parts that just don't have the durability that the old brass ones did?

Thanks for your comments/advice.

FW
have you checked your water pressure lately? most ceramic disk faucets will leak with water pressure over 80 PSI. IMO, and depending on where you get it, Delta makes some of the best faucets around. I've never had a problem with any of their DST cartridges that didn't have high water pressure or lack of expansion tank on the water heater. But it's always possible you got the lemon

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Delta faucet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
have you checked your water pressure lately? most ceramic disk faucets will leak with water pressure over 80 PSI. IMO, and depending on where you get it, Delta makes some of the best faucets around. I've never had a problem with any of their DST cartridges that didn't have high water pressure or lack of expansion tank on the water heater. But it's always possible you got the lemon
I have never measured the water pressure. As far as I can tell, it has not changed over the years. I mean, toilet tanks don't fill faster, and those valves aren't causing any problems, and I would expect them to be the first ones to wear out under high pressure situations.

Expansion tank on the WH? Unless it's built-in, there isn't one. Only place I know of an expansion tank is on the hot water furnace.

We use city water, so any issues are going to be caused by the utility. If I had other faucets wearing out, I might call them to check the pressure, but I in fact do believe I got a lemon faucet. Next time it starts leaking, I'll request a whole new faucet from Delta. Don't know whether they would do that, but I could give them a try.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Delta faucet nightmare

The city could do work that changes the incoming water pressure, without notice to you.

The pressure regulator (if there is one) can change over time as it ages and need calibration (or replacement). It is usually cone shaped and located near where the incoming water line enters the foundation.

Particularly if there is a backflow preventer on your main incoming water line, the pressure in the system can increase as a new tankful of water is heated with no one using water during that time. You should install an expansion tank (preferably in the cold water line between the water heater incoming shutoff and the water heater) to minimize this.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Delta faucet nightmare

Hi KE2KB
We're so sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Delta kitchen faucet. One of our customer service team members would like to help you with the issues that you have outlined in your post. Can you contact Rhea at rdz@deltafaucet.com or let us know the best way to contact you?
Delta Faucet is offline   Reply With Quote