Delta Cap Stuck - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Delta cap stuck

I am trying to raplace the ball insinde my single handle delta faucet. I tunred off the water and tried to unscrew the metal cap and cannot remove the cap. It is completely stuck. I tapped the outside of it and tried to oil the edges but still no luck. Any suggestions on how to remove cap?

Advertisement

lemonade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Delta cap stuck

Sounds like it might be frozen from lime and other minerals. You can try wd40 sprayed in thru opening of handle. Maybe CLR , even vinegar maybe.
Also consider the fact of its age and I would just go buy a new faucet. If you consider the amount of time, aggravation and the disinct possibility that it will probably break anyway.
Jack

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Delta cap stuck

I have had all Delta single-handle faucets in my home since I built it in 1977.
Just drop a washcloth over the cap to keep from marring it and use a pair of channel-locks and it will unscrew counter-clockwise. The threads always will get "corroded" up with minerals, etc. WD-40 helps, but usually the c-locks will do it just fine.
While you have the cap off, make sure that you get the plastic adjusting ring in it loose and working, too.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Delta cap stuck

I have had only 1 faucet that broke trying to break it loose. Usualy I can get it by soaking it with Misty penatrating lube and a cloth with channel locks like Mike said. Wd 40 is a water displacment good for removing water off your distributer cap if you get it wet I dont think much has changed with the basic Delta faucet since 77' except the handle
That one Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Delta cap stuck

The spouts LOL LOL the old ones always seemed to fail at the seam :}:}:}:}
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #6

Delta cap stuck

I've encountered this problem many times with Delta faucets. I have developed a simple and reliable technique for repairing even the most stubborn ones.

Before beginning, make sure you have a replacement cap. The Danco 88756 cap fits Delta kitchen and lavatory faucets I have encountered.

Using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, cut a vertical groove into the cap. Be sure to wear eye protection, and I recommend positioning a vacuum cleaner hose near the cut to collect debris. Cut as deeply as possible without cutting into the faucet body. If you do cut into the body, it's usually not a big deal as long as you don't go all the way through. I usually nick the body a little.

Put a flat blade screwdriver in the groove and twist/pry until the cap breaks along the grove. If it won't break, cut the groove a little deeper and repeat until it breaks. The cap will now unscrew.

Good luck!
deltachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Delta cap stuck

If it's stuck force it. If it breaks it needed fixing anyway!
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #8

Delta cap stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberinlaw View Post
If it's stuck force it. If it breaks it needed fixing anyway!
Oftentimes, you'll twist the whole faucet loose from the counter or twist the valve body loose from the faucet before the cap comes loose. You'll definitely damage something more expensive than the cap long before the cap breaks from brute force.

Advertisement

deltachick is offline   Reply With Quote