Delta 1400 Shower Wont Turn Off - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Delta 1400 shower wont turn off

Our shower will not get hot water nor will it shut off completly. I turn the handle both ways and it just stays on. I can get it to stop if I hit just the right spot but this is difficult. I took the handle off and found the white plastic thing with groves as well as the metal thing, they both look like there in good condition. Next I took off a little black oring thing it looked good as well. There is a white piece with a stem sticking out of it, but the stem dosnt seem to come off it just keeps rotating around when I put a wrench on it. Help! I'm a mom that needs a bit of guidence without calling a plumber to come out, just not in the budget right now. All help is welcome - Thanks in advance

Advertisement

asherwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

The cartridge is worn out. I suggest that you take a picture of the valve(inside the wall-after you have removed the chrome trim)

Take that picture to a real plumbing supply store. Explain the problem to the pros at the counter.
The chances are good that they will recognize the valve and sell you the correct replacement cartridge.

They should be able to instruct you on the installation and even give you an illustrated instruction sheet.

The job is simple---However----If you screw it up you will need to call a plumber.-MIKE--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #3

THANK YOU!, I will try that tomorrow, please cross your fingers for me
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If you are sure its a 1400 series then the cartridge is very easy to get. Just be VERY careful removing the nut that holds it in place. don't grab it too tight, Try doing it by hand first. also don't forget to turn your water off first to the house.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

Is the Nut the metal ring that is holding the white thing with the stem in place? I tried to get it off by hand but it is stuck in place, do you think it was placed on with some type of adhesive? I'm not sure how I'm going to get it off but the metal/copper ring thing is holding the white thing in place. Ugh wish it could be easy - never is!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherwood1 View Post
Is the Nut the metal ring that is holding the white thing with the stem in place? I tried to get it off by hand but it is stuck in place, do you think it was placed on with some type of adhesive? I'm not sure how I'm going to get it off but the metal/copper ring thing is holding the white thing in place. Ugh wish it could be easy - never is!
thats the nut you need to get off. be VERY careful.

Advertisement

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote