Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deep well pressure tank

I recently replaced the pump on a deep well after the shaft sheared. Prior to this our water pressure was fairly decent. After replacing the pump the water pressure starts off good but quickly peters out. I have a galvanized pressure tank with 40-60 cut-in cut-out setting. I drained the tank completely to make sure there was an air charge but that didnt help at all. Is there anything else I can try? Would it be wise to replace the galvanized tank? If so, should I replace it with another galvanized tank or should I go with a bladder tank? Are there any gotchas associated with switching from one type of tank to the other?

rrog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

Deep well pressure tank

If the tank does not leak air (letting water fill it up) and water can freely enter and leave via the pipe at the bottom then it should perform okay.

A damaged bladder or an accumulation of rust and sediment can block the pipe at the bottom. A tank with no bladder will work but will always fill with water gradually due to absorption of air into the water. It would have to have additional air added or be emptied of water every so often (may go a month before it fills with water by itself)

When the pressure peters out has the pump stopped?

You might want to install a pressure gauge near the pressure tank so you can monitor the pressure anytime.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
rrog13 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Deep well pressure tank

It could be that the pump they replaced it with is not of the same horse power, or capable of pumping against the same head as the old pump. In my honest opinion and experience the best way to get an air charge in your tank is to use an air compressor to charge the tank. How deep is your well, and do you know what they replaced it with?
Robothome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robothome For This Useful Post:
rrog13 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Deep well pressure tank

After the pump was changed out, I had also replaced the whole house filter (yesterday evening) ..completely new assembly and new filter. This afternoon I decided to remove the filter and see if there was any difference in the sustained water pressure. Without the filter (brand new out of the wrapper yesterday) the water pressure was great. Next, I installed another new filter and still maintained great pressure. The only thing I can figure is that the initial filter I used is defective. Im not really sure how that could happen. It seems like a simple construction. Tomorrow Ill cut it open and see what I find. Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate it very much.
rrog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #5

Deep well pressure tank

I feel dumb, I should have asked if you had a filter in line or not. What happened is when the well pump was changed, all the junk in the line and all the sediment in the well got stirred up. That's why the filter got plugged up. The new one you just put in will also die a little faster then normal. This is a normal problem when wells get changed out. Nothing to worry about.

Level 2 Water distribution/Sewer Collection Operator
Robothome is offline   Reply With Quote