Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

deep well pressure switch

A friend put a pressure switch in for me but I guess it is not wired correctly as the pump doesn't shut off. I have to unplug the power to shut it off. Wiring instructions that I've looked up talk about 4 wires coming out of the pump, but I only have 2 (black) wires coming out of my pump. Wayne Deep Well Model CWS50. Currently it's wired with the power wired to the 2 middle contacts and each of the wires coming from the pump wired to the outside contacts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

crazyhorse3629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse3629 View Post
A friend put a pressure switch in for me but I guess it is not wired correctly as the pump doesn't shut off. I have to unplug the power to shut it off. Wiring instructions that I've looked up talk about 4 wires coming out of the pump, but I only have 2 (black) wires coming out of my pump. Wayne Deep Well Model CWS50. Currently it's wired with the power wired to the 2 middle contacts and each of the wires coming from the pump wired to the outside contacts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
look at pressure switch...4 contacts...2-marked line..these come from breaker....2- marked load...lines from pump.... I think you are wired wrong....but ckeck me as stated ... outside contacts are line...inside are load...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 04-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
crazyhorse3629 (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Actually I went to Menards for other things and looked at how the pressure switch was wired on a pump they had on display. You were right, it was wired wrong. I came home and wired mine the same way as the one at Menards - the 2 black wires from the pump to the 2 middle contacts and the power line to the 2 outside contacts. Still have the same problem - it doesn't shut off. Now I'm wondering if it's the little tube running to the switch. It was copper tubing and he jury rigged it to use plastic and put hose clamps at each end. So possibly it's not a tight enough seal. I'm about ready to just buy a new pump.
crazyhorse3629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

The "little tube" running to the pressure switch is the pressure tube that transmits the pressure reading to the switch. The pressure tube cannot function correctly if it is gummed up with debris, which is not uncommon. Usually I replace the tube when I replace the pressure switch. If the pressure tube is the problem, then replacing the pump will not solve the problem.

It is also possible that the pressure switch was damaged due to the initially improper installation.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

has the pressure take been checked to see if bladder is good and set to correct pressure to coordinate with pressure switch
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote