Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Deep water well

Hi Guys...
I have just sunk a deep water well and it is working fine ( after a few hichups) the problem is that the water is not drinkable. how would i build something to make dirty water drinkable..not just with filters, something to remove all bacteria.
thanks

obunchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Deep water well

What do you mean not drinkable? If this is a brand new well you need to let it flush a few days. The water should clear up. You can chlorinate your well by pouring bleach in the well casing. Let it sit for 24 hours then flush to waste NOT your septic. You should not have a problem with Bacti. in your well water. You should have it tested once a year.

brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
One-man DIY Army

Rewards Points: 25

Deep water well

Speaking as a guy who used to install water wells and associated equipment, you have a few options.

First off, how do you know "the water is not drinkable"? Usually, deep water wells are some of the cleanest water available.

There is the chlorine shock method, but that won't give you continuous protection, there is an automatic chlorine dispenser available, but the best method uses UV light to fry any critters in the water. The UV light has to be changed at some interval, but there's no chlorine taste.
mdalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Deep water well

I forgot to mention that my well is in Manila in the Philippines, you won't want to drink any water that hasn't been treated from there. I think I have found what i'm looking for....its calle Reverse osmosis and I think its a filter system.I'll also try the UV light as they have critters in the water..
thanks for the help.

Last edited by obunchyo; 04-25-2008 at 08:04 AM.
obunchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Deep water well

Quote:
Originally Posted by obunchyo View Post
I forgot to mention that my well is in Manila in the Philippines, you won't want to drink any water that hasn't been treated from there. I think I have found what i'm looking for....its calle Reverse osmosis and I think its a filter system.I'll also try the UV light as they have critters in the water..
thanks for the help.
I was wonder how deep is 'deep'? ROs can be a great choice for premium water. There are good ROs and excellent ones. Try to learn the differences.

Get a water quality test and look for hardness and iron counts particularly. Above a certain range you will need pre-treatment or the membrane will die.

UVs are a great way to treat water but must follow specific guidelines and pre-treatment, also. There are Class-A and Class-B systems. Class-B systems should not be used on water that is pathological and meant for drinking without some other disinfection equipment.

I'm sure the requirements in the Philippines is different from where I come from, so learn what is required and avoid shortcuts. Nothing can replace high quality AND proper set up when it comes to drinking water
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote