Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

dedicated shower faucet ???

went to lowes to find a faucet for a stall shower and really didnt see any faucets that were for shower only. so i purchased one for shower/tub combo. my question is... can i just put a 1/2 male adpt in and cap it for the part going to the tub spout? shower is activated by pulling up the diverter in the tub spout. Im having to have it installed by a pro as Im at moms house with no tools, i dont want the plumber to raise his eyebrows and do an eyeroll as if to say (another dumbass homeowner) what would you do? plumber is coming tomorrow so i need to know what yall think thanks in advance

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #2

anyone???

Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Most shower valves come with a 1/2" plug for doing just what you described.

When you buy a tub/shower they don't enclude the plug..

Anyway PLUG AWAY
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Thanks PLMR, I dont know, the more i think about it Im thinking i should just find a plmg supplyhouse and buy a stall only faucet as the kit i bought came with a shr head and gooseneck as well as a tubspout all of which are trash to me and im thinking the 85 bucks i spent got me a 40 dollar faucet and all the extras make up the additional cost.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

You might be suprized. I sometimes buy a tub/shower cheaper than a shower valve.

If any thing a few more dollars for a pair of plyers and a torch set up may be cheaper than a plumber.

I'm at 60 p/h and usually end up 2-3 hrs with drive time, set up and clean up. Just labor 150-180
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #6

Like they said. Just use a 1/2" brass plug and save the spout in case you need it for a tub.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Man of many hats

Yes. You can use that valve for a shower only. It just requires the the tub outlet be cut off/closed. No problem for any plumber. You just end up with an un-needed tub spout. If your plumber tells you otherwise, you have the wrong plumber!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

thanks for the replies i ended up returning the lowes part with the unneeded tubspout and went to a plum supply and got a shower only valve and spent 10 dollars less seems like better quality also. The one i had originally purchased was both plastic crystal knob and/or single lever via a plastic adaptor the single lever attached to. this one was either a crystal knob or metal single lever based on what i preferred (differant part #s) the handle alone must weigh about half a pound,so i feel confidant i got a better quality faucet both are moen so well see. and PLMR i really dont want to be bothered installing it i havent picked up my torch in 4 years since i quit doing hvac and started driving a semi. My moms 92 yrs old and she told me they have hated that faucet for 35 yrs. You practally had to brace your left hand on the wall while pulling the knob out with your right,last time i was here i showed her how if you twist it left to right while pulling it out how much easier it was but still it was way more effort than it was worth. thanks again for the replies.....ken