Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Darn. A leak in my main supply from street, Galvanized. In foundation under slab?

Ok guys I was redoing all of my supply lines with PEX. I removed all of the old galvanized. The old galvanized wasn't that bad. I connected all of my PEX and it came out great. However, the main supply comes in through the foundation and is completely underneath a large concrete slab. I noticed that the galvanized supply has a small leak in it. It looks like it rusted from the outside. How I am not sure. The inside doesn't look that bad. Would it be possible to put a pipe wrench on it and see if I can unscrew that piece of galvanized and install a new piece. I know there is a 90 on the end of it but I don't know how far back it goes. My meter is about 70 feet from the supply so I don't want to run a complete new line if I can help it. Any info would be appreciated.

twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Darn. A leak in my main supply from street, Galvanized. In foundation under slab?

The 90 is outside the foundation right? If it is forget it you'll just end up breaking the pipe. Even if you do get it out you will never get another line in as the hole will fill with dirt.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
The 90 is outside the foundation right? If it is forget it you'll just end up breaking the pipe. Even if you do get it out you will never get another line in as the hole will fill with dirt.
x2 on this.

You're better off fixing it (change to pvc), however, if there's any way at all to get around the concrete.