Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cutting Vent Hole in Roof How To Wanted

Does anyone have a good procedure for installing a roof vent through a asphalt shingle roof? I'm going to a 2" vent with a metal/rubber vent flashing. It's cutting the hole that I'm concerned about getting it in the right spot relative to the shingles.

I would think the best way would be to drill a small hole from the underside that just goes through the wood only; tricky I know. Then poke something in the hole to push up the shingles. Then you can see where that hole is and adjust so that a 2" hole would just under the edge of a row of shingles. Now where to cut from for the two++ inch hole??? Try and remove some shingles and get down to the felt and cut it from the top?? It will top out here in MN at 48 today so the shingles won't be that soft and only colder and rainy/sleety(so I must get it right the first time) for the near future.

wildbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbilly View Post
Does anyone have a good procedure for installing a roof vent through a asphalt shingle roof? I'm going to a 2" vent with a metal/rubber vent flashing. It's cutting the hole that I'm concerned about getting it in the right spot relative to the shingles.

I would think the best way would be to drill a small hole from the underside that just goes through the wood only; tricky I know. Then poke something in the hole to push up the shingles. Then you can see where that hole is and adjust so that a 2" hole would just under the edge of a row of shingles. Now where to cut from for the two++ inch hole??? Try and remove some shingles and get down to the felt and cut it from the top?? It will top out here in MN at 48 today so the shingles won't be that soft and only colder and rainy/sleety(so I must get it right the first time) for the near future.
Can't help there, but I would run the pipe to a soffit vent if possible and avoid any roof penetrations. Especially if it's only a 2".

Mazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 554

Why does the pipe have to be relative to the shingles? Drill a pilot hole from the inside through the shingles to locate the vent pipe. Remove the shingles in this area, cut your hole, install your vent pipe and flashing, re-fit the shingles.

BTW, your hole will be oval and not round (roof slope).

Do not run the vent pipe into a soffit vent. Do you want sewer gases in your attic?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #4

The flashing is meant to slide under the shingles upslope thus the hole should be near the edge of the shingles so you can slide it up under them.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

What kind of vent - purpose?

You specify roof vent = to vent heat from the attic?

Do you have to do it now?
Cold weather is a bad time to be messing with shingles
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

just a thought, but I would figure the route of the pipe would determin where you penentrate the roof. If you try to get to careful with where on the roof, you'll end up with a leak. As already said, cut your hole, remove shingles in the area of the hole and go from there. One step at a time, install pipe, fix new hole in the roof. good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #7

It's a 2" drain vent. I want to get it done now so I can move on. It's a drain for washing machine and a 1 1/2" kitchen sink vent will connect to it. I could just try and get it in the heat vent that is there for now. I can move the vent within reason plus plastic is flexible. It's now going to stay dry tomorrow but only hit 40.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #8

Dont know if code allows but any other nearby vents you could tee into or y into
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

just use a 2 " hole saw bit from inside the attic, it will make a nice clean cut through the wood and shingles, the roof boot you install will make it water proof, and to find out where the hole needs to be drilled, use a plumb bob, by holding the string end up to the wood and lining the plumb bob up center with the 90 or tee you have below.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoplumber View Post
just use a 2 " hole saw bit from inside the attic, it will make a nice clean cut through the wood and shingles, the roof boot you install will make it water proof, and to find out where the hole needs to be drilled, use a plumb bob, by holding the string end up to the wood and lining the plumb bob up center with the 90 or tee you have below.

Yep, just cut/drill the hole were it needs to go, then put the flashing under the singles. It is rare that the singles work out to were they just fit over the flashing with out having to trim a little around the top.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

a 2" hole will not fit a 2" pipe. if the roof is lets say, 9/12, you'll need a 3 1/2" hole saw. Do what the others suggested. drill a pilot hole. get up on the roof, if you can. peel back the shingles even with and above the drill bit. either use a sawzall or circular saw and cut in a rough opening of 3-4" inches round or square, doesnt really matter. Install the boot, pipe and with tar under the top and two sides, not the bottom. cut the shingles to fit around the boot. its usally a fast and esy job
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting Vent Hole in Roof How To Wanted-roof.jpg   Cutting Vent Hole in Roof How To Wanted-roof-tar.jpg  
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
BDN

Could you use a mini-vent in this application, instead of going through the roof?

johnnydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

to mark the hole i usually use a plumb bob. hold it up against the roof from the inside and center it with your pipe. If you don't have a plumb bob just use a heavy nut or washer tied to a string. use a sawzall or hole drill to make the hole.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Is a 2" vent pipe through the roof legal in your area? In my area, we can't run anything smaller than a 3" vent through the roof due to concerns with the vent freezing up in winter.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's sewer View Post
to mark the hole i usually use a plumb bob. hold it up against the roof from the inside and center it with your pipe. If you don't have a plumb bob just use a heavy nut or washer tied to a string. use a sawzall or hole drill to make the hole.

I use string & nail for marking location use drill for pilot hole & sawzall to cut

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote