Cutting And Gluing PVC Pipe To Washer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cutting and gluing PVC pipe to washer

I am trying to cut the water lines to my washing machine because I have two cats now and afraid they will possibly get near the fixture near my washing machine. One cat now weighs 8 lbs. I have to go under house and cut the PVC pipe and put a cap on that pipe. Going to do the PVC pipe (cold water) first and then do the CPVC (hot water) later.

I went to Home Depot and the guy there gave me what I needed to do a few tests with PVC pipe from water faucet outside of house like I suggested. Never have did this before and want to see if the glue holds the PVC pipe together and does not leak. However, when I tried to place the PVC pipe and the cap together I barely got the cap to go on. The fit was very tight. I was thinking does the pipe have to be sandpapered any. That is not the same as chamfering pipe. Maybe sandpaper pipe slightly on outside of it and use small file to take out say 1/100th of an inch out of interior of cap just so pipe and cap will have tight fit but not too tight where it is hard to put them together. Allow primer and glue to cover area being glued then twist 30 degrees for a good seal where leaking with not occur.

Just discovered that I got 1 inch pipe from Home Depot. Have to go under house and see what size pipe is there. May have to go to plumbing store to get pipe less than one inch. Don't know what the diameter is under house. Guy who put den on house and my dad apparently didn't have access to internet back then so did their best with knowledge they had. Guy who put den on house was expert builder who did building for 30 years or so. Hopefully with internet I can do this myself without calling plumber. Save about 200 dollars.

Attached Thumbnails
Cutting and gluing PVC pipe to washer-water-faucet.jpg   Cutting and gluing PVC pipe to washer-pvc-pipe.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by steve3847; 10-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

Not sure where this idea of cutting out plumbing to prevent cats from messing with them comes from, your the second person (or may be the same person) to come up with this idea.
The way way that was butchered is all wrong anyway and needs to be redone.
A simple washer box like this one would clean it up.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...pvt=washer+box

Then two new braided stainless steel supply lines.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

is pvc rated to be used as water supply pipe? i thought cpvc, pex and copper pipes were the only ones approved.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 694

PVC should not be used as a supply line.
It's rated for drains not supplys.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

That is a water leak waiting to happen...all it takes is a good bump and the PVC will break releasing all that water behind the pipe....the thing that stories are made of......

Using PVC for water in your house is like using PVC for airlines.....yea, people do it....but when things go wrong...it's usually not pretty.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

I thought PVC pipe was used for cold water and CPVC pipe was used for hot water. I have to go under house for now and just place a cap on pipe. So will cut that very soon and take to hardware store or plumber and see what type of cap and cement I need. Won't have to replace any pipe for now. Going to use laundry.

Last edited by steve3847; 10-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

PVC and CPVC usage must be a regional thing. In this part of the country almost all cold water supply is PVC and hot water supply is CPVC. You however must use the proper type of SOLVENT - there are different types for PVC and CPVC.
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrepp44 For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (10-01-2012), steve3847 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

Can the pipe be sandpapered on the outside and the cap be filed on the inside by possibly 1/100th of an inch to allow primer and glue to be applied ??? This is not chamfering the pipe but rather sandpapering the pipe so that when glue is put on pipe it will not just be pushed away from area where glue will seal pipe and prevent leaks. Seems like cap and pipe on this 1 inch PVC pipe is too snug.

Last edited by steve3847; 10-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
PVC should not be used as a supply line.
It's rated for drains not supplys.
Uh, no.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote