Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

Cut tiles, selection of pattern?

HI... again,
I am looking for factors I have not considered to second guess my choice of tile layout. This includes how it will look if I have to have cut tile edges and grout lines at those edges meeting non cut tile. (which I am concerned about the aesthetics.) We are leaning towards number 4, but there will be cut edges on the tiles 1'st, 3'rd, and 5'th up from the tub, meeting the bullnose. If we are realy concerned about that then the only choices are 1 or 3. Any Comments? The tiles are 9 7/8" by 15 3/4" and we are using 1/8" grout lines - possibly 1/4" sanded caulk at the tub line.

I also wonder if it would be bad to leave regular greenboard above 80" above floor level, rather than buying more Wedi, and continue tiling a foot or so on the greenboard / drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
Cut tiles, selection of pattern?-camera-001.jpg  

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

WOW!!! Are you over-thinking this or what?

By now you know the warnings about using greenboard in a shower but you do what you want.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #3

You start at the front and work your way back so the cuts are in the back corners.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
wraiththe (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

that only works for 1 and 3, but not for 2 or 4. I am guessing that most people who lay tile have to deal with cut edges at the bull nose when ever they do a subway type layout. I guess the question is which way to put the tile in, cut edge against the bullnose or the inside tile? would filing the edge down a little make it look nicer?

Yeah, surely I am over thinking this a little. The greenboard has been cut away up to about 60" above the tub. I am tiling to 63" above the tub or 73". Just trying to make the little lady happy and not under think it. I have seen quite a few mistakes and all I know is that I don't know...
What I do know is she prefers the subway like layout, if possible, and I am trying to make it happen... That is, unless advised not to - due to potential ugly grout lines resulting from cut tile.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I have to come through.

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-01-2011 at 02:45 PM.
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Tileguy

Okay...

You install the back wall (5ft wall) first. Use any pattern you choose.

Then, install the side walls. Start with the bullnose, get it where it needs to be. The space from the bullnose to the back two corners is what you have to work with after that. It is what it is.

Start at the bullnose and work to the back, one row at a time so that the horizontal grout lines of the side walls match the horizontal lines of the back wall when they get there. If you chose to do a running bond then of course you have to cut tiles in half for every other row. You can file the cut edges to soften them and you'll never see it when it is grouted.

So...you do (in fact) start at the front edges and work back to the back wall just as Joe has said. It does work.
wraiththe (12-01-2011)