Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

Custom Shower Pan Plumbing Questions

I had hired someone to remodel our bathroom. You'll find the story of that saga elsewhere on this forum. In short, we had to fire him and rehire. The new contractor ripped out everything and started from scratch. Yes, it was that bad. Anyhow, all is now finished and we are using our new bathroom. I have two questions for you...

I recently replaced the shower drain cover with one that matched our hardware - Danze Oil Rubbed Bronze. The plumber used his own nickel plated cover because we essentially forgot to buy this one item at the time we purchased materials. Upon replacing the cover I noticed that there is a pool of water in the drain. Shouldn't it all drain out? Sure enough, the drain excepts all the water I pour into it but it won't all drain. Is that normal? If so, should it be cleaned in any way or every so often? I noticed that some red nasty stuff is building up. I'm concerned and any input you could provide would be helpful.

Second question... the holes on this new drain cover are very large and I can see easily down into the drain - which is white. I didn't go to the trouble of buying a matching drain cover so that I could be annoyed by the white pvc pipe. Is there a way to minimize this look? I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of intermediate filter or drain cover I could put in to minimize this.

Thank you for your time.

aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

I would presume that the standing water you are seeing in the shower drain is do the the trap water height, that is the way it is in my shower.

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

So... it's supposed to be like that? What is all that red stuff? Does it need to be cleaned? Any thoughts about question number 2? I'm wondering if I could just use some sort of spray paint on the pvc pipe... hmm....
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

The water you see is from the trap. The water prevents gases from entering back into the home.

"Red stuff" could be a combination of soap, residue, hair etc.. from showering. I regularly remove the drain cover and clean out (hair etc..). Coat hanger is nice tool to help grab hair clumps.
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #5

Okay, I am happy to hear it is designed to be this way and there is nothing wrong. Also, I will plan to clean it every so often. Does anyone have any input on the other matter? I'm looking to reduce the view of white pvc pipe through the oil rubbed bronze drain cover.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

I don't see why you can't remove the drain grid and find a small can of some type of spray paint that you like the color of -- perhaps in the automotive section as some of the cans are small and they have a good selection of colors. Carefully clean and dry the area above the water that you want to paint, then mask out all the area around that you do not want to get overspray on and carefully spray small coats until the white is covered.

Pick up a small section of PVC pipe and experiment to make sure you like the color and that it adheres to it. I imagine you will have to repeat this every so often as it will get worn away.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris13 View Post
The water you see is from the trap. The water prevents gases from entering back into the home.

"Red stuff" could be a combination of soap, residue, hair etc.. from showering. I regularly remove the drain cover and clean out (hair etc..). Coat hanger is nice tool to help grab hair clumps.
Red stuff could also be the sealer they use to paint over the backerboard/sheetrock/etc etc...

Next time, use ABS. It's already black. :D :D :D