Culligan Softener Overflows The Brine Tank And Getting Brine Into My House Plumbing. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.

My Culligan Softminder overflows the brine tank when refilling it. I can manually stop it by pulling the stem seat assy up. After it has regenerated, I have a significant amount of brine water that is in my water supply. After running tap for 5-10min, it returns to normal. Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. I have taken some components apart but before I get in too deep, would love to know more where specifically to look! Thx

Advertisement

Bookerjdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.

The float assembly is not working correctly if you have to pull the stem up to stop the water flow in the salt tank.
The valve is also not stopping the water from going to the salt tank when it should.
What components have you worked on?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Thanks for replying!

I haven't taken apart the float assembly - mostly because it didn't unscrew easily and I didn't want to break it. In looking at the parts list of what is inside (stem seat, ball, ball seat), I also didn't see much that could go wrong. The other reason I didn't pursue this part was the brine getting into my house water. I figured there must be something leaking elsewhere.

I did take apart part of the control valve (with Eductor)- to check o-rings. a couple are 'mushy' but i've seen worse that still function fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Water Treatment

How is the timer assembly? keeping good time?
For salty water to be in the house means that there was more brine brought into the softener than there was time to flush it out.
Is this a digital step up for a control?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

no it's not digital and yes, I believe everything is ok with the timer. The softner is about 10-12 yrs old.

Last edited by Bookerjdu; 08-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

could it be just a matter of increasing the flushing time to solve the brine problem? that still leaves the overflowing issue though? are they frequently related, or two separate problems?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Water Treatment

Sorry about not getting back sooner, service calls.
There is no way with your system to change the times, they are all factory settings.
Has the valve ever been rebuilt? new pistons for the upper or brine and lower for the main?
If the injector under the silver plate is clean and it draws the brine out ok, then it most likely is an O ring or two on the brine piston that is in need of replacement as it is leaking to the brine tank after the system has finished the regen cycle.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

Nothing has been rebuilt in the last 10yrs that we have had it, and since the house is only 12 yrs old, my guess is that nothing was done in the two years before we bought it either.

Everything under the silver plate looks clean. (I'm assuming you're talking about the plate held on with three screws that is easily accessible without taking anything else apart.) I will try to post a picture of the two o-rings that look questionable.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

is it attached? The one on the blue piece is the worst of the 3. The other 'flat' ring on the beige peice could also be an issue... the round ring on the beige piece is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.-imag1100.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Water Treatment

Either the o rings have melted or some one tried to paint an o ring in their place.

Any way one looks at it the o rings need to be replaced.

If the o rings there look like that there is the possibility that the o rings on the brine piston could be the same way, maybe even the o rings or seals on the main piston.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

haha, I'll go with melted. Why would they melt? Is that just normal wear? I'd like to find out if the others need to be replaced before I try to locate parts. I can't figure out how to get the cam off to get at the rest of it... I'm adding pictures again because I'm not real fluent with the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.-imag1104.jpg   Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.-imag1103.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Water Treatment

If the o rings on the brine piston are in bad shape they can be replaced, but it is a real challenge in finding them at a hardware store that has o rings... I have yet to find them.
I will work on the photo to show what parts need to be removed so that the brine piston can be checked.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Water Treatment

There is a screw that is at the top (A), behind the wires in the photo that will need to be removed.
There is a split washer that will also need to be removed for the white cam to be removed(B)... note... to not change the pin that you will see when that cam comes off.
Under the motor assembly there are 2 Phillp head screws that will have to be removed along with a pin that hold the white link to the metal shaft (C) that will let the back plate and timer , motor to be removed from the valve body.
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Softener overflows the brine tank and getting brine into my house plumbing.-culligan.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
Bookerjdu (09-10-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

ok, I'll see what I can do! thx.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #15

Got all the screws and the split washer. Can't seem to get the pin out of C.

Advertisement