Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

Culligan Softener Maintenance

i have 2 questions on the maintenance of my 1-yr old culligan softener and carbon filter.

1. culligan charges $199 to replace the carbon filter. the filter itself is $60. i am not paying that. which filter can i buy online and how do i change the filter?

2. culligan suggested cleaning the resin bed. i have well water. is it necessary?

Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Can't help with the resin bed but I would think the normal backwash would suffice.

To change the filter, shut off the water using the two orange handled valves. On top of the filter there should be a button. Push it down to release any water pressure.

Hopefully you have the filter wrench. It slides up from the bottom of the blue filter housing and engages on the raised grooves on the housing. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

That filter is a Big Blue, manufactured by Pentek. If you don't have the filter wrench, you can get one at most big box stores, or use a strap wrench instead. Put a trash can or bucket underneath the unit before disassembly - no matter how careful you try to be, you're gonna spill a bunch of water. Replacement filters can be purchased from numerous places on the internet. Even Amazon has them. There's an O-ring between the filter head and body. You might consider picking up a spare one just to have it around.

From the picture you posted, it looks like you have exactly the same water softener that I do. I just don't have the filter.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 07-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Scully (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

are these the right supplies i need for the big blue filter change?

Filter wrench:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

big blue filter:

O-ring

Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #5

Yes, the wrench and O-ring are what you need. The filter, I can't say since there are different kinds and sizes. Unless you have some paperwork from your installation that says which one you have, or can call Culligan and ask them, you'll need to pull your filter to see what it is. There should be a part number on it somewhere.

When you replace the O-ring, lubricate the new one with a little silicone grease (vaseline works too). That will help prevent the O-ring getting pinched when putting the housing back on.

There's nothing wrong with Amazon, but have you tried checking your local big box store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, whatever you have in your area). Some of them carry the Big Blues, wrench, and etc. Shipping cost for just the wrench and O-ring would probably be a lot more than the cost of the items themselves.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 07-30-2013 at 07:09 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Water Treatment

I would agree with all but the Vaseline as it does not hold up to water and can make a mess of the upper filter housing and o ring.
The best thing to use is the silicon grease for potable water use and comes in different sizes. A small tube will last many years as it does not take much each time the filter is changed and does not go bad.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
Scully (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
I would agree with all but the Vaseline as it does not hold up to water and can make a mess of the upper filter housing and o ring.
The best thing to use is the silicon grease for potable water use and comes in different sizes. A small tube will last many years as it does not take much each time the filter is changed and does not go bad.
Do I lightly cover both sides of the O-ring with silicone grease?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Just a little of the silicon on the thumb and finger and pull the o ring through them to coat the rubber. One does not have to have a lot, just enough to coat the rubber so that it is not dry.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote