Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Culligan Mark89

I have a MARK 89 system for the brine tank and a CulliNue for the calcium tank. Timers are identical.

The timer on the calcium tank works fine and activates the plunger via the cam - but - when the plunger moves in there is no sound - ie water back flowing out of the system. Im assuming the rod has come disconnected from the plunger...

My question - is the MARK 89 really a Fleck timer/controller ? If so what model ?

Do I need to have culligan come out ?

I am capable of fixing if i had a diagram - I just replaced my pressure tank.

Thanks !!

fasteddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 506

Culligan Mark89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie1 View Post
I have a MARK 89 system for the brine tank and a CulliNue for the calcium tank. Timers are identical.

The timer on the calcium tank works fine and activates the plunger via the cam - but - when the plunger moves in there is no sound - ie water back flowing out of the system. Im assuming the rod has come disconnected from the plunger...

My question - is the MARK 89 really a Fleck timer/controller ? If so what model ?

Do I need to have culligan come out ?

I am capable of fixing if i had a diagram - I just replaced my pressure tank.

Thanks !!
The timer assemblies are different, and the wiring would have to be changed.. Have not thought of doing that because when I have taken in culligans I have gone and taken parts for future use.

It might be that the motor on the culligan is bad, I have seen them go out over the years, not at the top of the list but the motors do.

PM if you would like

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

Culligan Mark89

the timers on both tanks are identical, the difference is that onthe calium tank there is no plunger for the back wash like there is on the salt tank one.

the timer and cams are all working fine on both tanks.

on the calcium tank - i can see the cam pushing the rod in and out as it cycles - but i do not hear any water exiting the system - im assuming the rod is disconnected from the plunger at the end - if so is that repairable ?

picture of plunger is attached - it moves in and out ok - no water or noise to indicate water being back flushed.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Mark89-culligan-003.jpg   Culligan Mark89-culligan-001.jpg  

Last edited by fasteddie1; 08-14-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

It is possible that the piston and rod are no longer together... rod goes in and out but the piston is locked in the back.
Drain plug is plugged......... put unit in bypass and with a large towel cover the drain and remove the metal clip and the pressure should blow the fitting out, if not remove while holding the towel over to lessen the water..

Seals and spacer kits normally come with the piston.. yours is the older style... no problem either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
fasteddie1 (08-14-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #5

Culligan Mark89

thanks for confirming - i will head to my local culligan store for parts.

last question - did you mean that i need to remove the 2 philips head screws and pull the plunger/rod out ? and the plunger should pop out under pressure ?

thanks
Eddie
Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

I was talking about the drain which is on the left side of the valve.. there is a metal horse shoe like item that is holding the drain fitting to the valve, it is possible that the media in your tank has plugged that little open hole that it has.

To remove the main piston with its seal and spacer assembly it is best to remove from valve from the system or tank, remove the screws and clip , then open the back of the valve by removing the metal horse shoe clip and plug and then pushing the assembly out through the front.

Most likely they will only have the new up graded piston and cage assembly that has a little tray to move the piston in and out... close to what you have but not 100% like what you have.

One thing that you can do is find some one that has taken in a Culligan valve that is still in good shape and use it for parts as needed on the units that you have.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #7

Culligan Mark89

i understand - i did remove the drain line with the U clip - water drained out into a bucket - i was able to look into the unit where the drain connected and thre was no sediment etc .

are there any diagrams on how to remove the valve housing from the tank ? is it clipped in place somehow ?

it look like if i remove the front timer plate the black valve assembly will slide out from the bracket assembly ? is that seem correct ?

I really would like to fix it myself if possible.

thanks for you advice

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Mark89-culligan-005.jpg   Culligan Mark89-culligan-006.jpg  

Last edited by fasteddie1; 08-15-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

Culligan keeps their books closed to the public.

There is a screw that holds that timer and front plate assembly that will need to be removed along with the 2 phillps that are at the back .. you can see them from the top, they hold that bypass plate assembly to the valve.

One might be able to pull the piston and its cage out the front, but over the years I have yet to pull one out the front, I have opened the back and then with care used some tool along with a mallet to soft pound out the cage and piston.
Attached Thumbnails
Culligan Mark89-culligan-5.jpg  

Last edited by Akpsdvan; 08-15-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #9

Culligan Mark89

Thanks !

I understand how to remove.

Will let you know how it goes with local Culligan here in Md.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

Quote:
Thanks !

I understand how to remove.

Will let you know how it goes with local Culligan here in Md.
Make sure that you have lots of $$$$$$ some thing tells me that it could be 175+
Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #11

Culligan Mark89

hmmm....

it is 20 years old, should I consider a new - non proprietary system like a Fleck - http://www.aquascience.net/water-sof...ndex.cfm?id=32 system ??

both of the units are leaking/dripping water into the drain tubes, so i imagine i need to have to new valve units if they are so old they cannot be rebuilt.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

Culligan Mark89

hmmm....

it is 20 years old, should I consider a new - non proprietary system like a Fleck - http://www.aquascience.net/water-sof...ndex.cfm?id=32 system ??

both of the units are leaking/dripping water into the drain tubes, so i imagine i need to have to new valve units if they are so old they cannot be rebuilt.
are you telling me that they will not be able to sell me parts for that valve head and I will need to purchase a newer one ?
thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

Quote:
hmmm....

are you telling me that they will not be able to sell me parts for that valve head and I will need to purchase a newer one ?
thanks
Both units can be rebuilt... as long as parts can be had, either new or very good used parts.
The tanks are going to be items that say that it is time to fully replace.

If your culligan dealer will not deal with you on parts for your systems, let me know.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #14

Culligan Mark89

Okay, so where can I find a usable timer motor for a Mark 89?

(I have two systems, softner and potperm ... the potperm timer does not advance at all. I can cycle through by hand and all the rest works fine ... so I am thinking I need a new-to-me timer.)

Any ideas?

Kevin
kmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Water Treatment

Culligan Mark89

Some times there are Culligan parts showing up on E of Bay ..
I have listed a main drive motor there , have not listed a timer motor but could if there is a need..
Look for the same nick on E of Bay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
kmayo (05-15-2012)