Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cross over issue? No hot water

We have a Noritz tankless water heater. We had hot water one day, but not the next.

I called a plumber from the Noritz site who came and said that the tankless heater is working fine, evidence that when the release valve is open, the heater works.

He said that we have a crossover issue--that on a one-valve faucet like in a shower, the colder water is mixing into the hot and there is no flow through the heater.

I discussed this with the sales staff at the hardware store, and he said that if I turned off the water going into the heater, then I should get no water at all from a hot water faucet. I did turn off the water to the heater (I'll have to 2x check) and I'm still getting water through the hot faucet.

I haven't messed with plumbing much, but I'm not shy about laying into something with tools when it's giving me a problem.

The plumber who came suggested that I could trouble shoot things further myself by cutting into the pipe leading to the shower and installing a valve. I don't mind doing this, as I the wall behind the shower wall is also the wall the houses the furnace, so visible wall disfiguration isn't an issue.

Any other thoughts on troubleshooting/fixing this. We live in N. Cal where nothing is cheap, esp plumbers, so if I can DIY, I'd be happy to whack some sheet rock if I can fix it.

Thanks,

Reid

reidthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

dont wreck any walls yet.

check any single handle faucets for defective cartriges that are allowing the mix,,me thinks Delta's are known for this. there are alot of GOOD threads on here someplace,try searching a bit,,,its a 'common' problem!!

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
dont wreck any walls yet.

check any single handle faucets for defective cartriges that are allowing the mix,,me thinks Delta's are known for this. there are alot of GOOD threads on here someplace,try searching a bit,,,its a 'common' problem!!
I'm looking at the faucet and it is a delta. I was just trying to take the faucet apart and just thought I'd check the computer, so thanks so much for responding quickly. I'll have to turn off the house water to take the faucet a part as I have to lift the handle to get to the set screw holding on the handle.

Am I heading in the right direction with all of this? When you say cartridge, is that the whole mixing part of the shower valve? Can that just be taken out and replaced, or is it a soldering job?

If you are open to it, I can call you if you email me your phone number. --just trying to get some work done while the kids are asleep and the wife is at work.

Thanks,

Reid
reidthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 516

yes should be fully accessable from the handle,,,with the water OFF at your main or shower shutoffs. Cartridge should slide out of tube when you get the hold down rings off of it. might take a good tug,,sometimes they are stubborn or worse
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,024

Also check to be sure that bathtubs and showers are turned off using the faucet(s) and not the button at a hand held sprayer. This is the cause of many crossover problems.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote