DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Creating new bathroom...plumbing difficulties?

8K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  AllGoNoShow 
#1 ·
I have a small (8X8) enclosed sunroom on the side of my 1930 colonial house that I never-ever use and am contemplating adding a half bath and laundry room in it (possibly just a full bath). I have no big problems with the other aspects of the project (heating the space, framing up regular sized windows, etc.) but am curious about the plumbing aspects of such a conversion.

The sunroom is in the front right corner of the house off the side (if you were looking at the house from the street). However, the water heater is located in the back left corner of the house in the basement (the basement is 24x24 ). The main waste pipe that is steel and about 6 inches in diamter is also in this left back corner (the only bathroom in the house is in this corner on the 2nd floor). From there it goes under the concrete foundation and goes to the street. There is a cleanout for the main waste pipe that comes out of the floor in the front left corner of the basement floor right infront of the front foundation wall-but it is probably only 3 inches wide which i do not know if that is big enough for a toilet drain (and it would still be about 28 feet away from where the toilet would be in the sunroom).

Describing these conditions, is there any major concerns? Anything specifically I should be looking at to determine if this project is doable? Anything I am overlooking? Realistically I would be trying to do this myself for under 2 or 3K. I have contractors in the family but no plumbers-if anyone can help it would be appreciated! I can take pictures if it would help people visualize it better. Thanks!

Nick

See less See more
#5 ·
I completely forgot about the vents-what exactly does that entail? Like, what size pipe, where do I have to run it, how to connect it, etc.?

Also can I just tie the drain for the sink into the waste pipe for the toilet before running the pipe the length of the wall? What about also tieing in a drain for the washer machine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.