Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Creating a basement laundry room.

Howdy all...

I'm in the planning stages of creating a basement laundry room. Carpentry... No sweat! Electrical... Left to my buddy the electrician. Plumbing... I'll have a plmuber come in and run the pipes and such, but I have to provide the walls for those to run in.

Being in the "planning" stages, I'm looking to place the major appliances. Dryer is a non-issue. The washer drain, on the other hand, may be a problem. All the existing plumbing I have access to is about 12' away (14' if I get really "cosmetic" with the build) The run would be as follows:

- Washer emptys into a utility sink.
- Drops through the sink, into the "T" and back 12" into the wall.
- Hits a 90* elbow and starts a 10' horizontal run (pitched at 1/4"/ft min.)
- Hits another 90* elbow and goes another horizontal 12" run to a "T" which branches off my main 3" drain pipe.

I do have access to a 2" vent serving the basement toilet (easy to get at), or the 1 1/2" vent serving the upstairs shower (tough to get at but possible)

I may be able to supply pictures but what's written is pretty much the gist of the project thus far... So what do y'all think? Is this "do able"

Thanks for your time and any advice you can provide...

Dan

Edit: All the plumbing connections will be done by a licensed contractor. I just need to provide the walls and misc. to allow him to do his job as easily (inexpensively) as possible.

from the washer's possible location.

I have a TON of 1 1/2" supplies left over from the initial house build. Is this enough flow for that long a run?

Last edited by Mn_Shooter; 01-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Mn_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Creating a basement laundry room.

Any vent that you can easily tie into should be fine. with that long run, if you eliminate the second 90 and run the drain right to the main sewer you'll eliminate 7-8 feet of pipe. tie into the main with a wye and it'll probably line up pretty good. my code book allows for 1 1/2" pipe for a laundry tub, but if it's being installed underground it must be 2" minimum (state requirement) i'd check with your plumber and see what he wants and what will make it easiest for him

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote