Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Crazy hot water problem

When I try to run hot water at my laudry basin it comes out very hot but I cannot get more than 2 gallons before nothing flows from the faucet. I then have to wait about 5-10 minutes to get more. This problem does not exists at any other faucets in my house. I can pour gallons of hot water with no problems at those. This problem laundry basin is less than 5 feet from my hot water tank. It is the closest sink. Does this make any sense?

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Whatamess

Crazy hot water problem

It sounds like the faucet seal is expanding from the heat and stops the water. Cools down and runs some more etc. Why is the water that hot? Should the thermostat be adjusted or do you want it that hot?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Crazy hot water problem

Could the faucet have a scald guard feature on it that is closing off the hot water? Try mixing some cold with it to bring the temperature down and see if will continue to flow.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #4

Crazy hot water problem

can you remove the line from the hot pipe shut off into the sink faucet and run it into a bucket to see if it is something in the line or the actual sink hardware.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #5

Crazy hot water problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
When I try to run hot water at my laudry basin it comes out very hot but I cannot get more than 2 gallons before nothing flows from the faucet. I then have to wait about 5-10 minutes to get more.
After the faucet stops flowing, do you shut the faucet and wait 5 to 10 minutes, or do you leave the faucet open and it starts flowing by itself again after 5 to 10 minutes?

Also, try opening the faucet WIDE OPEN and see if the same thing happens.

I think what you may have is a soft rubber washer on the hot side that happens to be loose.

When you close a faucet with a soft washer in it, the washer will deform when pressed against the brass seat. If you then open the faucet, the rubber expands again, pinching off the flow through the faucet. If the washer is also loose, you can get water pressure BEHIND the washer. The pressure on both sides of the washer is equal, but the area of the back of the washer is greater than that of the seat, so the net force pushing the washer against the seat can be greater than that pushing the washer off the seat.

I think it's either a soft loose washer, or something plugging your hot water supply line.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-18-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote