DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cracked PVC fitting in concrete

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Marlin 
#1 ·
I was breaking up some concrete in my basement to set a tub. The drain pipe is about 3-4 inches away from another pipe coming out of the concrete that is a vent pipe and also has a T fitting with a cap on it for the rough in for the vanity drain.

After breaking away the concrete for the bath tub draing, I noticed that the fitting for the vent pipe is cracked. I can't see the rest of the fitting just the top but I think that it is inline with the main drain pipe running through the concrete.

How do you repair / replace a fitting that is in concrete? Can I break the concrete away replace the fitting and use rubber fitting with clamps around the drain pipe? My concern is that since the draing pipe is not movable (and assuming that it is 4 inch, which I think the main pipe is) I won't be able to spread it apart to glue in the repair fittings?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Technically, you are supposed to use special couplings underground, like this "MG Coupling":
[/IMG]

I know that some people have sometimes used a no hub band underground with no problem.:whistling2:

No Hub Band:

Either one is better than some sort of patch since the line you mention sounds like it will be a drain line.

#5 ·
Thanks Marlin and mstplumber for your advice.

Lat night I dug more around the cracked pipe fitting and was relieved to discover that it is not a connection into the main drain. The fitting is an elbow connected to a pipe running through the concrete that I assume connects into the main draing down stream a couple of feet. The other end of the elbow is connected to the vertical vent pipe with a Tee that is capped to be used for the vanity drain.

I plan to dig up around the pipe fitting and pipe and then replace the elbow.

So at least I won't need to repair the main drain pipe running through the floor.

Dave Jupin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.