Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

Cracked Housing on Garbage Disposal

I recently moved to a new place that's relatively new overall (only 3 years old) and just noticed today that the garbage disposal is leaking underneath the sink when used. Upon further inspection, there's a slight crack near where the top plastic piece near the bolt that secures to the top and bottom pieces together. I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new one of these for such a small defect when it works fine overall. Could I get away with using some type of silicone seal/caulk for plumbing or maybe even some type of super-glue like resin to fill in the cracks and have it last me a few more years? It's only made of plastic. I'm not even quite sure how it could crack when it's not even in an exposed area of the kitchen. It's an Insinkerator if that makes a difference.

Last edited by wysiwyg6000; 09-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
wysiwyg6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
DIY staff

Sorry,but the inside is like a tin can--when it splits it's junk.

They have a warranty by I doubt that anyone keeps the warranty info---time for a new one---
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
call me E

I agree, too much tork and vibration. Nothing will seal it.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

you could try epoxy or on of the steel epoxies. when you replace it get an insinkerator with the stainless steel grind chamber and this wont happen again. sounds like it is a badger which is their bottom end disposal and made mostly of pot metal.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Have you made contact with the company to ask them about the problum.
If yours cracked I'm sure it's not the first time and they may offer you something for your trouble.
It's free to ask.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

As luck would have it, it has a 2 year warranty and it's been installed for roughly 3 . So I doubt they'll be honoring anything at this point. It is a Badger 5 model and a quick Google search reveals that a lot of other people are having this problem too. Honestly, I don't even use the disposal feature since I never flush solid food down there. It just leaks now when I dump water down the drain that I would like to stop. I can replace it when it's time to move in a few years. Could I use pipe dope to cover the cracks with and form a seal?

Last edited by wysiwyg6000; 09-04-2012 at 09:02 PM.
wysiwyg6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg6000 View Post
As luck would have it, it has a 2 year warranty and it's been installed for roughly 3 . So I doubt they'll be honoring anything at this point. It is a Badger 5 model and a quick Google search reveals that a lot of other people are having this problem too. Honestly, I don't even use the disposal feature since I never flush solid food down there. It just leaks now when I dump water down the drain that I would like to stop. I can replace it when it's time to move in a few years. Could I use pipe dope to cover the cracks with and form a seal?
listen ...to what is being said....if cracked its junk....badger 5 at lowes or hardware..75.00...simple install....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
call me E

You could always replace the disposal with a standard basket strainer and continuous waste piping. Set you back about $20 or so vs. a new badger...
Just don't try to patch it- waste of your time- wysiwyg