Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Crack in shower pan

I have a small crack in an acrylic shower pan. For some time, I could feel two humps under it around the drain and I'm guessing that is the support. But, it seems that there should have been more support under there.

I have two things I'd like to achieve. Some way to put support under there. I've considered drilling a hole in the front side of the shower and putting in some of that expanding foam. I also bought some shower/tub repair, but it must have some "strong" vapors as it has a warning about it. There is also "no" window that can be opened for ventilation, so I'm wondering if there is anything else that I could use to repair the crack? I need to try and repair this with a person using Oxygen in the residence, so I'm very concerned about any fumes.

Angeldove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Crack in shower pan

You are going to have to replace the pan. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but if it cracked once it will do again. It simply is not properly supported.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Professional Remodeler

Crack in shower pan

Ditto. You'll also be able to repair any damage to the subfloor and framing as a result of the leaking shower pan.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Crack in shower pan

Thank you both! It sounds like a job I'll need to hire out.
Angeldove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Crack in shower pan

I had a great local guy do a chip repair on our acrylic shower tray. If I had a similar situation to what you describe I would likely consider giving him a call to find out if it was repairable. but if it's a lack of support under the tray then you likely need to rip and replace. Any crack you repair now will just come back if it's flexing in any way but then again modern epoxy resins are very strong so a repair just might be possible. If the next choice is rip and replace you don't have much to loose by giving it a try.
QueBall is offline   Reply With Quote