Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crack in Fiberglass Bathtub Surround

A few days ago, while in use, we discovered a crack in our bathtub. It is about an inch long, but shaped like a semi-circle that doesn't connect. Judging by the slight leakage it caused -- it had probably been born in the past few days.

I've read some similar reports and most often the cracks are on the tub bottom, in which case it could be a support issue. HOWEVER, ours is on the side of the tub about 3" from the bottom. Not sure how it happened, maybe someone dropped a bottle of shampoo long ago and the cap made contact with the side and grew over time?

I'm trying to ascertain how well a fiberglass epoxy repair will hold for this, given it's not on the bottom of the tub.

I see many people use a product called Devcon Home Fiberglass/Acrylic Repair Kit and have read in a few places that at least initially, this has held. However, what is worrisome is that it claims to be water-resistant not water-proof. I wonder if they worded it this way to decrease their liability as it is a seemingly popular product? It's CLEARLY listed as a repair product for toilets, tubs, etc. There's also a product made by Elmer that does claim to be waterproof at about 2x the price.

Does anyone have any advice?

Swolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolly View Post
I see many people use a product called Devcon...
Devcon makes good stuff.
Follow their directions EXACTLY and all should be fine.
Well, fine except for the aesthetics. That'll NEVER be right.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

There are pro's out there who can repair them and make the repairs nearly invisible. I don't know what the cost is, or if it would be worth it depending on the age of your unit, but check out the phonebook for fiberglass repair, and see what you come up with.

What brand is the tub?
jaydevries (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There are pro's out there who can repair them and make the repairs nearly invisible. I don't know what the cost is, or if it would be worth it depending on the age of your unit, but check out the phonebook for fiberglass repair, and see what you come up with.

What brand is the tub?
I have no idea how old it is. Lasco brand. It appears to be one of those one piece enclosures.

One thing I'm worried about is that the crack will at least be partially submerged when someone is taking a bath. The crack, like I said, is a bit of a semi-circle.. and part of it appears to be slightly depressed. I'm not sure if I should 'make' it a complete hole or try to 'pull' the depression out and use an epoxy.. going from there. Really, it's about the size of a nickle.

I'm guessing although haven't confirmed yet, that the Devcon is not for "below the water line" repairs -- hence the water RESISTANT and not water PROOF. I may need to go to a marine store and look for something aquatic.

Last edited by Swolly; 05-17-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
I may need to go to a marine store and look for something aquatic.
are you planning to make the tub into an aquarium?
check the Devcon website for which of their products will be best
--OR-- find a fiberglass repair guy to do it right
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 594

[quote=TarheelTerp;923522]are you planning to make the tub into an aquarium?

L.M.A.O And they say plumbers donít have a since of humor. Any repair made on that tub will only be temporary eventually it will have to be replaced. ,

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
A few days ago, while in use, we discovered a crack in our bathtub. It is about an inch long, but shaped like a semi-circle that doesn't connect. Judging by the slight leakage it caused -- it had probably been born in the past few days.

I've read some similar reports and most often the cracks are on the tub bottom, in which case it could be a support issue. HOWEVER, ours is on the side of the tub about 3" from the bottom. Not sure how it happened, maybe someone dropped a bottle of shampoo long ago and the cap made contact with the side and grew over time?

I'm trying to ascertain how well a fiberglass epoxy repair will hold for this, given it's not on the bottom of the tub.

I see many people use a product called Devcon Home Fiberglass/Acrylic Repair Kit and have read in a few places that at least initially, this has held. However, what is worrisome is that it claims to be water-resistant not water-proof. I wonder if they worded it this way to decrease their liability as it is a seemingly popular product? It's CLEARLY listed as a repair product for toilets, tubs, etc. There's also a product made by Elmer that does claim to be waterproof at about 2x the price.

most fiberglass units are gelcoated that makes it easy to repair...look in phonebook for repair company neareast to you ...dr tub,,tub repair.. tub renew,,,,not that expensive either...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,320

Are you 100% sure its' fibglass and not acrilic?

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/fibergl...ower-repair-2/

Any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, boating supply sells a small fiberglass repair kit.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
are you planning to make the tub into an aquarium?

L.M.A.O And they say plumbers don’t have a since of humor. Any repair made on that tub will only be temporary eventually it will have to be replaced. ,
Hey -- I was going for quality.

Anyway, I ended up trying the Devcon. Seems to have fixed the problem, but I'm not very confident in it's durability and it's pretty ugly -- so... trying to figure out what to do now.