Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 584

Cpvc vs galvanized

Looking at using cpvc to replace galvanized in remodel. My question is, will half inch cpvc deliver same volume as half inch galvanized? Sure does not look like it?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,202

Cpvc vs galvanized

I couldn't tell you for sure, but you usually don't want more 2 fixtures on a 1/2" line. At least that's my rule of thumb. You could step up to 3/4"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-27-2012), plummen (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Looking at using cpvc to replace galvanized in remodel. My question is, will half inch cpvc deliver same volume as half inch galvanized? Sure does not look like it?
According to the CAD drawings at McMaster Carr, the ID of 1/2" galvanized is .622" and the ID of 1/2" cpvc is .526. Of couse, with the propensity galvanized has to crud up, they are likely about even. Personally, I would recommend 3/4" cpvc, ID .722 and less apt to close up on you.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
According to the CAD drawings at McMaster Carr, the ID of 1/2" galvanized is .622" and the ID of 1/2" cpvc is .526. Of couse, with the propensity galvanized has to crud up, they are likely about even. Personally, I would recommend 3/4" cpvc, ID .722 and less apt to close up on you.

So are you saying from the 1 inch main supply line, each fixture gets a 3/4 inch supply? so I guess you would have to use a reducer to go from 3/4 to 1/2 which is the normal fixter inlet right?
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,948

Cpvc vs galvanized

You run a 3/4 main line then tap off with 1/2 to the fixtures.
I have not seen galvinized pipe used for new constrution plumbing in at least 10 years.
I use Pex, faster, less fittings so less chances of a leak. I could run 100 ft. if need be with no couplings.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
jschaben

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
So are you saying from the 1 inch main supply line, each fixture gets a 3/4 inch supply? so I guess you would have to use a reducer to go from 3/4 to 1/2 which is the normal fixter inlet right?
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. However, if it were me and replacing everything as it appears you are. I would just keep it at 1" and step down to 1/2" at each fixture. Every time you step down the size, you step up the pressure but step down the volume. Keeping the 1" main size as long as possible before stepping it down should give you the most consistent pressure and volume at every outlet. I'm not a plumber but that's the way I'd do it or have it done.

The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You run a 3/4 main line then tap off with 1/2 to the fixtures.
I have not seen galvinized pipe used for new constrution plumbing in at least 10 years.
I use Pex, faster, less fittings so less chances of a leak. I could run 100 ft. if need be with no couplings.
I can run a 100' roll of k-copper also with no leaks,no pex allowed in omaha yet anyway
Ironically I could run 500' of copper with tons of fittings with no leaks,then theres those occasional days that I feel like i should bury my torch and buy a bunch of those nasty shark bite things!

Last edited by plummen; 09-26-2012 at 10:57 PM.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-27-2012), TheEplumber (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. However, if it were me and replacing everything as it appears you are. I would just keep it at 1" and step down to 1/2" at each fixture. Every time you step down the size, you step up the pressure but step down the volume. Keeping the 1" main size as long as possible before stepping it down should give you the most consistent pressure and volume at every outlet. I'm not a plumber but that's the way I'd do it or have it done.
All that 1" and fittings get pricey really fast,unless your going a really long ways or trying to feed lots of fixtures off each trunk line Id stick with the 3/4" then drop it down before each fixture
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #9

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
This just my opinion- forget the cpvc. To me- it's junk. Use pex if you can't afford or want copper.
There's no need to oversize the pipes when it's not necessary- you're wasting money in material and wasting extra hot water that is delivered to the system but not used. A 3/4 line should supply at least bathroom- assuming your pressure is adequate and the run is not too long.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
jschaben

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
All that 1" and fittings get pricey really fast,unless your going a really long ways or trying to feed lots of fixtures off each trunk line Id stick with the 3/4" then drop it down before each fixture
Hmm, I didn't think there was that much difference in the fittings; elbows, connectors, reducers and like that. Getting into shutoffs and such, I'd agree. Of course, my house isn't that large, I could run the 1" every where practical with about 40 ft of the stuff.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:
Hmm, I didn't think there was that much difference in the fittings; elbows, connectors, reducers and like that. Getting into shutoffs and such, I'd agree. Of course, my house isn't that large, I could run the 1" every where practical with about 40 ft of the stuff.
When you start figuring the pipe in there it all starts to add up rather fast,That seems to be one of the biggest reasons people want to run that nasty pex stuff is the cost of copper and fittings.
I get people that complain about the cost of a 3/4" copper drip leg on a water heater,they think I should use cpvc on everything to save them money!
Thats a big chunk of the reason I dont do residential new construction,besides the fact its so boring!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

Cpvc vs galvanized

Thanks everyone, this is one of those projscts that is done a little at a time.

We are in the process of complete remodel of the master bath. Next will be the guest bath, which is down the hall.

So we are not oppose to spending the cash to do this correctly. My main concern is not to reduce or changed volume, which is what 1/2 inch CPVC and Pex may do?

I was going to just use CPVC all throughout since it is rated better: for both hot and cold. (I know it is over rated for cold)
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #13

Cpvc vs galvanized

Quote:

I was going to just use CPVC all throughout since it is rated better: for both hot and cold. (I know it is over rated for cold)
IMO, cpvc is over rated. I think it was pulled from the shelves years ago- hard to find around here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-27-2012), plummen (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,172

Cpvc vs galvanized

agree wih eplumber..cpvc is way over rated...use 3/4 pex with 1/2 branches to fixtures.....no need to over size or waste material.....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,948

Cpvc vs galvanized

I have not seen a new house or addition done with CPVC or copper for many years around here.
Far less chance of it bursting if it ever freezes, no way to set anything on fire are more reasons to do it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote