CPVC Lines With Brass Fitting - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CPVC lines with brass fitting

Hey all.....this is my first time I am posting to the website. Just signed up and I hope I can get some tips from someone with the problem I am having right now.

I just ripped out the fiberglass shower in my master bath and I'm going to replace with tile. Upon removal of the fiberglass shower I noticed the water lines were CPVC with brass elbows and T-Fittings and they had a black ring/clamp around the CPVC where it attached the fitting. In talking with a buddy of mine that is a plumber, he said you need a special tool for that. I want to re-route the lines myself through the studs so I don't have to wait on him or pay someone else to do it. The lines free hang on the outside of the stud and I need to re-route them through the studs so I can get the cement board flat against the studs to screw in. My question to anyone that can help is what "special" tool(s) do I need, how easy is this to do, what do I need to look out for, ect...

I am very new at DIY home repair/remodeling. If you could basically dumb it down to almost kindergarten information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jason

Advertisement

mill1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,232

I don't understand why such fittings were used. They have to be a lot more expensive than CPVC fittings. I would cut them out and replace them with CPVC. It isn't that hard to do. Any basic how-to plumbing book will explain how it's done.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

OK.....I found it out it was PEX pipes. The black ring was the crimp ring. I plan on tackling the movement of the pipes tonight.....a buddy let me borrow his tools. Wish me luck.

Jason
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,232

I have never used it, but have heard PEX is pretty easy to work with. You shouldn't have any trouble if you have the right tools.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Pex is not that hard to work with as long as your buddy gave you the gauge needed to check that your connection is correct. It is a gauge (simply a piece of flat metal with a series of half holes cut out at the edge). It will indicate by placing your crimped joint into the end of the metal gauge whether or not you have a good joint. I suggest you use one since this is your first time crimping pex. You should also make sure you are aware that pex expands more than copper and so needs a little more room to do just that. Also there are proper clips to hold it in place ie. along side a joist as well as ones for when you go through wood it is there to protect the plastic so it does not rub a hole into it. Hope that helps.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I did it last night and it wasn't bad at all. No leaks when the water was turned back on and I got the clips to hold it in place. Seems to be working fine. Off to tackle the membrane, cement board and shower base.

Advertisement