Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

CPVC glue - how long to dry before pressure?

I just want to check this, I decided to read the instructions. The CPVC glue instructions say 15 minutes to handle and 12-24 hours to cure if you're above 60 degrees F. I checked my PVC glue and it says 2 hours.

I would like to turn the water back on to check for leaks before I go to bed, and there will be much unhappiness if we don't have running water tomorrow morning...

My project was to reroute the cold water pipe so it went around a new crawlspace openning, and I pretty much can't run anything until I pressurize my new work. This is a cold water pipe if it matters.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Turn it on, it's two hours to fully cure.
Never once have I waited more then 15 min. and never have had once blow off yet.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Well, I'm pretty sure I made my last connection around 11 and spent the next 30 minutes searching here, writing my post and nodding off... But I went ahead and slowly openned the system, let air run out of all the fixtures. And one of my joints blew apart. Last one I had made I believe.

At least I know the solder joints are good.

With unions at the connections to the copper, at least I can take it all out so I can twist the joint together.

I'll let it go overnight this time.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Master Plumber

I am with Joe as long as itís done correctly should not have a problem.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure I made my last connection around 11 and spent the next 30 minutes searching here, writing my post and nodding off... But I went ahead and slowly openned the system, let air run out of all the fixtures. And one of my joints blew apart. Last one I had made I believe.

At least I know the solder joints are good.

With unions at the connections to the copper, at least I can take it all out so I can twist the joint together.

I'll let it go overnight this time.
Are you using dresser couplings for the transition?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Okay I see the problem now that I reglued the joint, the joint was only half seated not fully seated.

I'm using this for my transition on both ends from copper to CPVC:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

NIBCO 3/4 in. Brass and Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC) Transition Union
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Why a union?
Could have use a Shark Bit fitting and had to use no glue or solder.
You did take the coupling apart and move the CPVC out of the way while solderiing right?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
I ask the impossible!

During some previous work, I found myself learning a lesson that I may need to prepare myself for rework. The union fitting makes that a little easier. And I did disassemble the fitting so I only was heating the brass fitting during the sweating.

And as usual, since it's maybe once a year I sweat copper pipes, I found myself relearning how long it can take to heat up pipes if you still have water dripping through it! Once I got that figured out and got all the water out, it went much faster.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Master Plumber

I have ran into those fittings a few times they eventually leak, recommend a female copper adapter with a PVC male For your transition. PVC glue is not a glue, primer the areas to be glued first, apply glue to both pipe and fitting press fittings together then give ľ turn hold fittings for a few seconds to keep from pushing a part. Do not re glue previously glue pipe or fittings they will eventually fail.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
I ask the impossible!

So, as for the fittings, when you say eventually, are we talking some number of years? This will all get replaced within less than 2 years. We're going to relocate the first floor bathroom before this year is out, and the kitchen will follow shortly after, so everything that is supplied through the existing plumbing will be moved and new pipes supplying them will be installed.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #11

You guys will love this. I converted an old bus to a motorhome in 2003. I used all cpvc for my plumbing. Last summer I had a water supply elbow come off in the plumbing bay with water running out of the bottom of the bus bay.

Yikes I checked the fitting and to my unbelief, it had no sign of glue or primer. All the other fittings adjacent to it did. Now, that rascal held on there for 8 years, 60,000 miles and numerous RV park plumbing pressures without any glue.

I think your 2 hours will work fine.

n175h is offline   Reply With Quote